Chapter 34: Promises

'All ready for the mission, General?'

'As ready as I'll ever be, Rex!

...
'Leia, since you and Luke will be on Yavin IV most likely alone with Threepio, I was wondering if you two would mind if I sent Artoo along with you.'

'But Luke, doesn't Dad need Artoo to help fly for the mission?'

...
'Artoo, take care of Luke and Leia for me. Wherever they go, you go. Understand?'

...
With Anakin and Obi-Wan on a mission, and Luke, Leia, Padmé, Ahsoka, and Rex traveling to Yavin IV, Varykino was unnaturally quiet. Obi-Wan's last "May the Force be with you," rang through the empty halls, as pertinent as ever. The journey ahead would not be easy for anyone and possessed the ability to break even the strongest wills. However, for now, Varykino still stood as a reminder of the precious memories the Skywalkers and their extended family had made, and the hope of rebuilding what had once been destroyed.
——————————

One week later...

On the other side of the galaxy, Darth Vader poured over his memories trying to figure out where he went wrong, tears threatening to spill from his unstable yellow eyes and down his ghostly face. However, Vader was aboard the bridge of the Death Star, and all eyes were on him, the Sith Lord, the new commander. He couldn't show fear or emotion, for, in the Empire, it was weakness.

Anakin had tried for five, almost six years, to keep his darker tendencies at bay, locking Vader away in the darkest chambers of his heart. But all Anakin had created was a ticking time bomb craving to be set free.

Everything seemed to be going flawlessly until the day the Varykino Crew left for the Yavin IV conference. There was nothing but smiles as they departed, Padmé taking control and over-obsessing as she tended to before conferences and Anakin being there to keep her steady with subtle reminders and a kiss or two when they found themselves alone. However, the subsequent week was such a whirlwind of events that Vader couldn't wrap his head around. Padmé, Leia, Luke, Ahsoka, Rex, and possibly Obi-Wan were gone and their cheerful memories were beginning to fade from the Sith Lord's recollections. The sterile Death Star was a stark contrast to the warm Rebel bases, but while Anakin would have detested it, Vader welcomed the change. A single question floated towards him in his rumination, and Vader clutched the memory as tightly as he could. Hooking his hand onto his belt, close to his saber, he settled into a recent but cruel reminiscence.
——————————

"I have a bad feeling about this," Anakin muttered. Despite the rush of adrenaline that he felt while flying, Anakin couldn't help but notice that the Force was clouded- both the Light Side and the Dark unsettled as of a chance was coming. 'Was it what Yoda had mentioned? The end of the war? Something worse?' Piloting his Actis fighter through the asteroid field should have provided Anakin a way to disconnect from his torments, and enjoy his favorite pastime, but, he was plagued with worry for Luke, Leia, and the Conference on Yavin IV.

"How come you never have a good feeling about things?" Obi-Wan quipped. Then he winced, adding, "And by Force, Anakin, please pay attention to your flying. You are dangerously close to that asteroid."

"Sorry, Master, but it's simply not fun announcing when I have a good feeling about something." Anakin chuckled, yanking on the control of his fighter, tilting it sharply upward within inches of an asteroid. "It's like spoiling a surprise!"

"Remind me to never put you in charge of a surprise party." Anakin could hear Obi-Wan rolling his eyes over the comms, so he decided to try out a new trick. He accelerated towards an asteroid and whirled the fighter around at the last possible moment so that he was nose and nose with his former master.