Chapter 19: The Secrets We Keep

Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, and Rex insisted on taking care of Luke and Leia for the rest of the evening, giving the Skywalker couple a much-needed break from their hectic schedules. "We'll be fine!" Tano insisted, "You two deserve some time alone!"

"Snips, are you sure?" Anakin protested. He seemed to have calmed down or suppressed whatever emotions he was feeling about the most recent mission. "I haven't seen the twins in weeks. They're my children after all!"

Tano waved away his comment, "You also haven't spent quality time with Padmé in months. Go to Theed, pick up dinner, and have a relaxing night."

Skywalker shrugged and wanted to decline, but the young Togruta was persistent. Two standard hours later, Anakin and Padmé were strolling through the streets of Theed, bustling with nighttime energy. Lights illuminated the ground, and the sound of a low chatter filled the air. The couple linked their arms together and gazed all around them. "I forgot how beautiful Theed was at night," Padmé whispered.

Anakin tensed, though acknowledging the city's beauty, "Are you sure we can be seen out here?" He had heard stories about the Empire scanning crowds and randomly harassing and searching citizens in crowds like these.

"Yes, Ani, we'll be fine," then, Padmé paused for a moment, "Though, if you're worried, we can buy some food now to limit our excursions off the island."

"Sure," Anakin mumbled, "there was a stand selling shuura fruit not too far from here. And that merchant is selling ronto steaks." He led Padmé through the lively streets, stopping now and then to admire street performers or sample food from the vendors. Upbeat music played all around them, and for a moment, the couple forgot about the Empire, Order 66, and the Rebellion.

Pausing by the fruit stand, Padmé began ordering an array of Nubian delicacies and striking a conversation with the vendor. Anakin stood silently by her side, maintaining a faint smile. As Senator Amidala-Skywalker utilized her diplomatic charm, the Jedi Knight diligently looked for any signs of trouble. Standing at his full height and towering about his wife and many in the crowd, he seemed both imposing and intimidating. Anakin noticed the vendor eyeing him warily, but he paid him no mind. "I'm fine," Anakin heard Padmé assure the merchant. "Truly. You don't have to do that."
After Padmé deposited a few credits onto the vendor's stand and declined the change, the couple continued their stroll through the streets of Theed. Padmé paused at a bench overlooking the water and invited Anakin to take a seat next to her. "Now," she started, "what's wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

Senator Amidala-Skywalker sighed, "Let's start with what happened on Corellia and Hoth." Her finger traced designs on his leg, soothing the Jedi. She tried to assure him but couldn't understand the inner workings of his mind.

For a few moments, Anakin was silent. Then he took a deep breath and closed his eyes. "I was captured," he said.

Padmé looked at him quizzically, hoping he would continue. "And?" she pried gently.

"And I was interrogated."

"But that isn't the whole story," Amidala-Skywalker continued.

"Right. And I don't want to talk about that." Anakin stood up and tried to walk away, but Padmé grabbed his hand. Another couple glanced at the Skywalkers with confused expressions, but they didn't make much of a scene.

"Yes, you will." Padmé didn't have Force-Persuasion, but she had her methods for convincing people.

Sitting back down, Anakin stared up at the stars, as if asking the Force why his wife was so persistent. That's what I love about her, he guessed. Then, the words began to flow naturally, and the Jedi recounted his recent experiences. He told Padmé about the wampa and the missing Rebel Soldiers, carefully downplaying the severity of his injuries. When talking about the trip to Corellia, Anakin constantly glanced over at Padmé to make sure she was alright, "I'm sorry I couldn't save her. If there was anything I could have done, you know-"