Chapter 4: Darkness of Mustafar

Shortly after the Nubian cruiser departed from Mustafar, another ship landed. The massive, piercing ebony shuttle bore the newly minted Imperial insignia, commissioned during the height of the war for this specific purpose. It seemed to blend in with Mustafar's grim and dismal landscape, as it touched down in the same spot where Padmé's ship had been just a moment before.

Onboard the shuttle, stood the Emperor himself, the Sith Lord, Darth Sidious; his personal Red Guards; and a legion of Stormtroopers. Palpatine dispatched the battalion to search for his apprentice, who should have been by the lava river, as nothing more than a charred torso clinging to a pitiful existence. The Sith closed his deformed eyes, breathed in the sulfuric volcanic air, and reached out with the Force, hoping to sense Vader's agony and cries for help. However, he felt nothing. All Sidious could sense was the familiar embrace of the Dark Side as it beckoned for him to restore its power in the galaxy, but aside from that, he noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

Soon, he thought, Soon the Sith will rule the galaxy once more. The Empire was only the beginning. With Vader in line, we will be unstoppable.

A newly dubbed 'Stormtrooper' nervously rushed over to the Emperor to deliver his report. "There's no sign of him, Sir. Shall we continue the investigation?" CT-0401 asked in a slightly robotic tone. His vocabulator masked the anxiety in his voice.

The Emperor acknowledged the remark and sank deep into thought. That Jedi Scum! What an insolent fool! I promised him all the power in the galaxy, and he just throws it all away for love? And that General Kenobi, I should have let him perish on the Invisible Hand!

Then, he motioned to the Stormtrooper, "No, call off the investigation. We have more pressing issues to attend to."

"Yes Sir!" CT-0401 hurried off to alert his legion.

Darth Sidious sighed. This was only a minor inconvenience to his plan. The man who was once Anakin Skywalker would be his servant. He would have all the power he desired. The Sith would rule the galaxy! Palpatine's thin cracked lips curled into a wicked smile. If only his late Master could see what he was going to accomplish.

A/N from much later: I've been trying to lengthen this chapter for the longest time but I realized I just don't like writing for Sidious. These past chapters have been slow and short, but I promise that it gets better and longer. This is my first fanfiction so it has many issues.