Chapter 14: Rogues

Anakin landed the transport ship in a secluded area of Coronet City. The sun was setting behind the tall buildings, and the distant sound of traffic reminded the group of the importance of their mission. "Look alive," he said, pulling his hood over his head and covering his face, "We get in and out as quickly as possible. I don't like what I sense here."

The group moved discreetly through the industrial streets and blended into crowds when Stormtroopers passed. Warily, they maintained a keen eye out for any trouble that may arise. However, lights flashed all about and vendors called from stalls of knick-knacks. "Stay on target," Anakin started to say, but his eye was caught by something at one of the stalls along the busy industrial street. Making sure his features were covered, the young father strolled over to a stall with trinkets fashioned from scrap, most likely sourced from a Corellian junkyard. If Luke and Leia won't be able to travel around the galaxy with a war brewing, they should at least know what's out there, Anakin thought to himself, We could start a collection of curiosities from all across the galaxy.

However, his thoughts were rattled when Ahsoka startled Anakin back to the present. "No stopping, remember? We have a mission to complete."

"Right," Skywalker remembered, "I said that, didn't I?"

Rex motioned for the group to continue, and periodically glanced down at the Holomap provided by Padmé. After a few twists and turns, the clone nodded to himself, signaled to the group, and headed down a dark alley. Obi-Wan, believing in courtesy, knocked on the door farthest down the dead end. Then, he patiently waited. When no response was given, Ahsoka drew her lightsaber and burned a hole through the thick metal door. Peeking inside, she noticed the entrance didn't lead to a home, but a flight of stairs that descended downwards into a system of tunnels.

Using their lightsabers as a light source, the Jedi wandered through the tunnels, calling out for the handmaiden. Their voices echoed in the labyrinth, which appeared to sprawl for miles. To Anakin's surprise, his calls were met by a young human boy, who seemed around ten years old. "You are Jedi," the boy noted.

"Yes," Ahsoka said, a bit surprised. Then she remembered that they were holding lightsabers and dismissed the thought. The boy probably wasn't that intuitive. "And we are searching for our friend. Have you seen her?"

"Short, human female, dark brown hair? Yes, I've seen her. Though, you should follow me; she doesn't have much time." The Corellian sprinted down a tunnel with the Jedi and clone close behind him.

Anakin was reluctant to follow the boy at first but saw no other options. How did he know they were working with Rabé? What did he mean by 'she doesn't have much time? The tunnel system was a labyrinth, and Anakin felt the sinking feeling that they were walking into a trap. "What's your name?" Skywalker asked.

"Han," the boy said, "Han... Solo."

"And where are your parents?" Obi-Wan inquired.

"I don't know. I'm alone. I'm solo." Han responded, shrugging the question away.

Anakin looked back at his former master. The boy wasn't Force-Sensitive in the slightest, but it was astounding that he was able to survive on his own.

They followed Han down a long corridor that seemed to last forever. They were probably meters below Coronet City, and the air smelled damp and awful. When Anakin's suspicions began to reach their boiling point, Solo flicked on a light revealing a small room. In the corner, next to a dilapidated table, Rabé lay on a thin mattress barely clinging to consciousness. Her blue robes were stained with blood, and her labored breathing echoed like broken machinery.

"What happened?" Skywalker asked softly as he knelt beside the handmaiden. Anakin couldn't help but notice Rabé's similarities to Padmé as he clutched the dying girl in his arms. He couldn't shake the thought of Padmé having the same fate as her handmaiden.

"Skywalker," Rabé said, a small smile spreading across her face, "I have the plans to the Death Star, but I was caught before I could escape. Han saved me." She took a deep breath before continuing but was soon overcome with a fit of coughing, "T-take this." Rabé produced a small Holodisk from the folds in her dress. "Tell Senator Amidala that it was an honor serving her."

Anakin shook his head, his eyes blurry with tears, "No, you're going to tell her yourself. Just please, stay. Stay with me." At that moment, he forgot about his reservations towards Padmé's handmaidens. They were willing to give their lives for the Senator, much like he was.

Rabé only smiled. "I was wrong about you. You're a-" she started before she closed her eyes and exhaled a sigh of relief for the last time.

Skywalker felt as the life drained out of Rabé's form and she grew limp in his arms. Ahsoka put a hand on her former master's shoulder and tried to comfort him. "If we had arrived earlier," he said grimly, "If I hadn't- then maybe Padmé-"

"We can't dwell on what happened. We must honor Rabe's wishes." Ahsoka didn't know where the words had come from, but they were cold and left a bad taste in her mouth. However, they had to keep moving.

Suddenly the sound of footsteps echoed through the tunnels. Shouts became closer and e steps became louder and louder with each passing second. The methodical clacks of the soldier's shoes acted as a timer, counting down the seconds until the Rebel group was caught. "Stormtroopers," Rex said, distastefully, "We must have been followed."

"We have to go, now," Obi-Wan agreed.
"Follow me," Han offered, "I know a shortcut!"

Whoo!!! I'm back!! I know this one is pretty short and it's going slow but I promise it's going to speed up soon. I've also been wanting to introduce Han for the longest time but I wanted it to feel natural.

Hope you all enjoyed and please remember to vote and comment! 💖