Chapter 17: Mission: Breakout!

The Stormtroopers tortured Anakin but made sure he was still alive, from a certain point of view. After hours of agonizing pain, the former clones released the Jedi from the interrogation chair and snapped Force-dampening binders onto his wrists. Though battered, bruised, and bloody, they forced the barely conscious Skywalker to stand and dragged him into another cell. "He won't last the month," one Stormtrooper told the other.

   "He's a Jedi," the other said, "They're quite tough, but not unbreakable."

——————————
   Padmé Amidala-Skywalker waited patiently on the landing strip for the Rebel team to arrive. She had just returned from Coruscant, leaving Luke and Leia on Alderaan with Breha for their safety. The twins were now asleep in their makeshift nursery in the palace, and Padmé hoped that the Emperor's ominous words were merely an empty threat. "Master Kenobi," the Senator addressed once the ship had landed and the passengers inside had departed, "Commander Tano and Captain Rex, welcome back." Padmé noticed that Anakin wasn't on the ship. Instead, a young boy bounded out, rapidly asking questions. Padmé shook her head. Skywalker did not look like that when he was ten, therefore, something must have happened to him, and the boy trying to hide behind Ahsoka was someone new. "Where is Anakin?" she asked, concerned.

   "We ran into some problems on Corellia, and Knight Skywalker stayed behind. I'll elaborate more during the report," Obi-Wan said, "I'm sorry, I couldn't stop him."

   Padmé nodded her head and panic rose inside her. It would be a shame if something were to happen on Corellia. A mission you proposed? The Emperor's words rang clearly in Padmé's mind. Was Palpatine responsible for this? He has eyes everywhere. However, before she fell down the rabbit hole of worry, Padmé calmed herself. I don't have time to worry about that now.

   Instead, Amidala-Skywalker focused on the task at hand, the new individual. She knelt next to the young boy and beckoned for him to stop hiding. "What's your name?" Padmé asked sweetly.

   "I'm Han," the boy replied.

   "Han? What a nice name. Why don't you come with me?"

   Solo looked back at Ahsoka for her approval. The Togruta nodded and Han took Padmé's hand. "You're very pretty," he whispered, once they were out of earshot.

   "Thank you," Padmé couldn't help but smile, "You remind me of someone I know."

   "General Skywalker?"

   "Yes."

   "If he's like me, then you shouldn't worry about him." Han tried to stand on the balls of his feet, "'Cause I'm tough!"

   Padmé chuckled softly, "Yes you are."

——————————
   Anakin was beginning to loathe waking up in unfamiliar places. His head throbbed with pain and it felt like the wound in his back had reopened. Anakin could taste the metallic blood in his mouth and pitied his curls which had somehow been charred at the tips and were caked with dried blood and grime. He wasn't sure where the grime had come from, or whether the blood belonged to him or not, but Anakin decided not to ponder on that. The fingers on his durasteel arm were bent in awkward positions, and Skywalker found it almost impossible to move the appendage. Groaning, he popped the fingers back into place and scanned his cell.

   The room was small, but well-lit, unlike the interrogation chamber. There was a thin cot and washbasin in the corner of the cell, and the door was a thick metal, with a small ray shield window. From his vantage point on the floor, Anakin couldn't see any vents that could lead him out of the fortress. I need to get out of here, he thought, standing up and splashing his face with water from the washbasin. The guards had taken Skywalker's lightsaber and comlink, leaving him with no way to contact either Padmé or his group. Hopefully, the Rebels were able to vacate the planet and give Padmé the Death Star plans.

   Anakin paced around the cell for hours waiting for any opening to escape. Then he found it. Skywalker heard the familiar clack of Stormtrooper boots against the cement floor heading in his direction. Must be routine prisoner checks, he thought. Anakin pounced onto the ceiling, albeit with some difficulty, and perched in the corner, waiting for the guards to come searching for him. His arms and legs felt like lead as he balanced in the nook. A few minutes later, a pair of Stormtroopers stopped in front of the Jedi's cell. When they peered inside and couldn't see him, the lead unlocked the door and the two stepped inside. Dropping from the ceiling, Anakin kicked both guards to the face, causing them to fall backward onto the cement. He grabbed both of the Stormtroopers' blasters and one comlink from their inanimate bodies and sprinted down the hallway.

   "High Command?" he phoned through the comlink, "There is an issue in cell block 727. We need additional backup."

   "Elaborate, Trooper."

   Anakin guessed hastily, "We have a-a-ah!" He hurled the comlink on the ground and crushed it beneath his boot. The diversion must have worked, as Skywalker had to hide in a storage closet as a regiment of Stormtroopers raced to his cell. After the squad passed, Anakin darted into the main control room. His lightsaber and comlink were deposited in a bin, along with other prisoners' belongings. Smirking, Anakin dropped the blasters and hooked his lightsaber to his belt. "Hello?" he called into his comlink, "General Kenobi? Senator Amidala?" When Skywalker amassed no response, he slid the comlink into his pocket and sprinted towards the hangar.

   The base's layout resembled many Anakin had either stayed in or protected during the Clone Wars, and the hangar was no different. There were many freighters lined along with the landing pad but Anakin's eyes were drawn to an odd-looking fighter with a spherical cockpit and hexagonal gliders. Anakin chuckled. This looks like the bowties Padmé makes me wear. He hopped into the fighter and began to familiarize himself with the controls.

   Shortly after commandeering a newly-built Beta design for an Imperial Fighter, Anakin heard a familiar voice behind him. "Going so soon?" Admiral Yularen asked, flanked by a squad of Troopers. They fired at the Jedi, careful to avoid the fighter. Following his instincts, Anakin blocked briefly and leaped into the cockpit of the fighter.

   "I'm deeply sorry, but I cannot stay. Tell the Emperor I say hello!" Anakin smirked and fired the engines, leaving the Admiral with a mouthful of dust.

   Wulff Yularen stood stupefied in the hangar for a moment. He was appalled by the youthful Jedi's brashness. "All units, blast that fighter out of the sky!" he barked into his comlink.

Hello there!!! Everyone loves a good prison escape, right? Its not the most elaborate scheme, but it gets the job done quickly!
Always remember to stay hydrated and practice self-care! May the Force be with you!
If you liked this please be sure to vote and comment!