Chapter 11: First Blood

"It's called the Death Star, and could be the Empire's ultimate weapon," Padmé said, motioning to a large Holoprojection, "The Emperor wants me to pitch this idea to the Senate when I return from maternity leave. He senses distrust among the Senators under his new rule and believes that I can sway the votes."

   "It looks like a small moon," Anakin said unimpressed, his arms crossed.

   "That's no moon. The Death Star will be a gargantuan space station, armed with a planet-destroying super laser. The plans for the Death Star are currently being held on Corellia. Rabé was on Corellia when I learned of this and promised that she would try to locate the plans."

   "We could use the plans to our advantage," Obi-Wan pointed out, "We could study them to find a weakness or flaw in the design. Surely a weapon of that size has a weakness we could exploit."

   "I like where this is going," Anakin remarked, "We're going to blow it up. There's always a way to blow them up."

   "Senator Mon Mothma," the Senator of Naboo addressed via holoprojector, "Can I entrust you with the recruitment of other systems into the Rebellion? I will further investigate the Death Star Project."

   Senator Mothma nodded her head in acknowledgment, the holo glitching slightly. "However, I think a team should be sent along with Rabé if the search goes awry."

   Senator Organa contemplated the idea. He looked around the room to the Jedi around him before speaking, "We will send Master Kenobi, Knight Skywalker, Commander Rex, and Commander Tano to collect the information, only after Rabé confirmed that she found something. In the meantime, they will deliver much-needed supplies to Echo Base on Hoth." Then, he turned to Anakin, "They will need to leave immediately."

   After a few other issues were discussed, the meeting concluded. The three Jedi and clone rushed off to prepare for their impromptu mission, without any objections. Before they left, Ahsoka found Padmé in the Council Room.
——————————

   "Senator Amidala, thank you for reaching out to me. I would have never found the Rebellion if it wasn't for your transmission." Ahsoka said, as her pace synchronized with the Nubian Senator.

   "Ahsoka, it's Senator Amidala-Skywalker." Padmé smiled slightly as Ahsoka realized what had been said.

   "You and-" she stuttered, "It makes sense now. How long?"

   "Since after the Battle of Geonosis." Then, pulling the Togruta into a warm hug, Senator Amidala-Skywalker whispered, "I missed you."

   "I missed you too. Thank you." Ahsoka mumbled cheerfully.

   Just then, Anakin strolled into the hangar to inspect the ship before departure. "I know this is a very sentimental reunion, but we have important matters to attend to," Skywalker said, mocking Bail Organa. Then, his tone softened, and the slightest hint of joy crept into his voice,  "Ahsoka, I assume you know?"

   Ahsoka nodded smiling. Then realizing that Anakin might want to converse with his wife in private, she said, "Padmé, we can talk later. I should check on Master Kenobi."

   After Tano raced out of the hangar, Anakin let his beaming smile slowly fade. Drawing his wife close, he lamented, "I don't want to leave you and the twins alone so soon."

   "You'll be back before you realize it. It will be just like one of your military campaigns from the Clone War." Padmé tried to stay positive, despite the incessant challenge.

   "You know, when the Clone War ended, I thought we were going to settle down on Naboo to raise our children?" Anakin sighed, "I was looking forward to that."

   Senator Skywalker shook her head. "Me too. However, problems arise, and we must protect those who look to us for help. When this is all over, everything will be alright."

   "But when? That's exactly what I used to say about the Clone War. Duty always came first." Anakin's hand dropped to his lightsaber, remembering the last time he spoke those words.

   "Small sacrifices now will help everyone in the long term," Padmé clarified. She reminded the Jedi Knight that he had a mission and couldn't waste any more time, though Padmé wished the galaxy and its issues could melt away. "Goodbye for now," she said softly, "I love you."

   "Goodbye for now," he echoed, deliberately annexing the latter half of her statement, slightly hurt by the truth.

——————————
   "Thank you so much for these supplies, General Kenobi," Senator Mon Mothma addressed as Anakin, Ahsoka, and Rex helped the Rebel soldiers unload the life-saving supplies.

   "It is our pleasure, Senator. Is there any way we could be of your assistance, while we are here?" Obi-Wan looked around the base and sighed as Anakin trotted over to join the conversation.

   "Ahsoka noticed the speeders over there need some repairs," Skywalker noted, "They must have seen quite a battle."

   Senator Mothma nodded, "Three rotations ago, a pair of soldiers out on patrol went missing. We sent a crew of three to locate the missing soldiers, but only one member returned. She was severely injured but will make a full recovery.  I fear the Imperials may have set up a base not too far from here, and are aware of our presence. This may not work in our favor, especially with the Senate meeting next week."

   "We will take a look," Kenobi volunteered.

   "And by 'we,' Obi-Wan means that he, Ahsoka, and Rex will stay here, and I will take one of those tauntauns to look for any trouble." The Hero With No Fear glanced at his former master, who shook his head in disapproval.

   "Anakin, you cannot go alone. It's too dangerous."

   Looking at the two Jedi banter, Mon decided to offer her opinion, "You are both right. Skywalker, I mean you no disrespect, but I doubt you can find the missing soldiers by yourself. However, we can only spare to send one of you on this mission. The rest of the team is needed here. To compromise, Skywalker, simply locate the soldiers, and we will send a larger team for extraction."

   "Yes, Ma'am."

   "Good. now get some rest. The four of you have had a long journey, and it is dangerous to venture out at night."

   Anakin smiled, sensing and relishing in his former Master's displeasure. "I'll go help Rex with the speeder," he offered cooly, almost smirking at the irony in the tone of his words.

   The next morning, Anakin found that a warm parka and goggles had been left outside his temporary quarters. After getting dressed, he headed to the tauntaun pen, where the handler lectured him on Hoth's landscape and the proper care of a tauntaun. "Always trust your ride. The tauntaun knows the landscape better than anyone in this base. May the Force be with you."

   Before leaving, Rex handed Anakin a brown cylinder the size of a ration bar. "General, I'm no Jedi, but I have a feeling you'll need this. It's a flare, just in case we need to find you quickly."

   "Thanks, Rex," Skywalker said, placing a hand on the clone's shoulder, "I know you'll always have my back."

   "Rex!" Ahsoka called, "Remind Anakin to stick to the plan, and then come help me! I'm in a bit of a situation over here."

   Skywalker chuckled, "I should leave now. Be back before sunset!"

Hello there!!!
I tried not to make this a filler chapter but I'm not sure how it turned out.

Just a reminder to have an amazing day and May the Force be with you!