Chapter 5: A Friend in Need

Anakin was conflicted and confused. He paced the cruiser's long hallway, deep in thought, until he noticed C-3PO heading in his direction. Not wanting to engage in a conversation with the ever-so-chatty droid, The Hero With No Fear ducked into a storage closet. "What do I have to do to be alone?" he grumbled to himself.

Much to Skywalker's surprise, a series of familiar beeps and whistles greeted him. R2-D2 did not sound chipper and Anakin didn't dare repeat the astromech's foul language. He couldn't see where the droid was since the closet was void of all light, but Anakin hoped Artoo was close enough to hear him.

"Hey Buddy, I'm sorry that I told you to stay with the ship. I didn't plan on abandoning you on Mustafar." Anakin sunk onto the floor and hugged his knees into his chest, "I just didn't want you to witness-"

The failed Jedi was interrupted by R2-D2's signature whistle, I've accompanied you on missions before! I can handle a bit of lava in my circuits and gears! The astromech seemed almost as agitated as Obi-Wan had been.

"Artoo, I went to Mustafar on behalf of a Sith Lord. I betrayed the Jedi Order," Skywalker said plainly. There was no use hiding anything from his loyal droid. It's not like Artoo could tell anyone. "If you accompanied me, I was afraid I would lose you, or worse." Anakin always felt more comfortable talking to droids over living creatures. He understood how they worked, and how they could be fixed. People were much more complicated. "Buddy, I owe a lot of people an apology, including you. I just hope I've made a good start."

The spunky astromech droid rolled over to its good friend and beeped an honest reply. A faint smile tugged at Anakin's lips as he placed a hand on his droid's cool domed head, and began to recount the tumultuous events of the day.
——————————

Anakin didn't know how much time had passed when the storage closet door slid open, temporarily blinding him with the bright hallway light. Obi-Wan was standing in the doorway with his arms folded across his chest. As the older Jedi Master spoke, Skywalker noted that Kenobi had dried his tears and changed robes. "I see you two have made up. Come on now, we're landing. I'll need help with Padmé."

With a groggy, "Yes, Master," Anakin shakily stood up, pain and needles shooting through his legs, which had fallen asleep in the cramped closet. He turned with a smile and motioned for R2-D2 to follow him. "I'm not leaving you ever again."
——————————

"As long as Sidious is alive, return to Coruscant, we cannot," Jedi Grandmaster Yoda said. He had arrived on Polis Massa shortly after Kenobi and Skywalker, and now, the three discussed how the Jedi would move forward in the Imperial Age.

"So, we should just- I don't know- kill him or something? Surely, if we all go together, we could overpower him," Anakin suggested. Though he didn't understand why he wasn't arrested or at least handcuffed upon arrival or why he had been allowed to join the Council Meeting in the first place, Skywalker felt relieved to have been almost wholeheartedly forgiven by Yoda. It was quite difficult to forget Anakin's short romance with the Dark Side and, speaking of romance, no one seemed too surprised when Anakin and Padmé's relationship was revealed. Yoda simply gave a nod in acknowledgment when he heard the news.

Obi-Wan sighed and rolled his eyes. He couldn't tell whether Skywalker was joking or deadly serious. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, Yoda broke the tension in the air, "Quick to rush into things you are, Young Skywalker. Reckless erm? Unready as a Master. A failure as a Sith Lord."

Anakin swallowed hard. They had not forgotten. He nodded his head in acknowledgment and lowered his gaze to the ground. Yoda's words chastised him, but also offered cryptic advice if he was willing to listen.

Obi-Wan Kenobi was the next to offer a suggestion, "We should lay low and regroup with other Jedi who survived Order 66. We can form a 'rebellion' of some sort against the Empire. We will have strength in numbers."

"Perhaps," was all the Grandmaster said.

The gears in Anakin's mind sped faster than a pod-racer. Others, Obi-Wan had said. That means there is a possibility that Ahsoka was still alive!

Kenobi and Yoda continued discussing the aftermath of Order 66 and the end of the Clone War, but Skywalker found it hard to pay attention to what they were saying. His mind dwelled on a certain snippy, young Togruta. Ahsoka had to have survived Order 66. She was clever enough to outsmart the clones. Anakin was certain she had survived. Her Force Signature could still be felt within the bond they shared, but it was faint as if she was busy or fighting for her life. Skywalker wouldn't forgive himself if she died.

As the Council Meeting continued, Anakin's mind wandered back to his conversation with Master Kenobi earlier that night. Why was he so afraid to tell Obi-Wan the truth? He had nothing to hide- nothing anymore at least. He reflected on his former Master's words, You trusted Chancellor Palpatine over me! You are my brother, Anakin, I love you! Skywalker felt ashamed that he had trusted a Sith Lord over his brother, the closest person he had to a father when he was younger.

"The Jedi," Anakin mumbled.

"Pardon?" Obi-Wan questioned, breaking from his conversation with Master Yoda.

"I didn't think you would keep my secret from the Jedi Council. I broke the Code; I was going to get expelled from the Order," Anakin sighed, "Well, there is no Council I have to worry about defying now," he added lightly, his voice betraying his internal turmoil.

Kenobi was happy to hear his former Padawan still kept his sense of humor, but noted the undertone of raw emotion in his voice. "I'm so sorry you felt that way. As your former master and close friend, it's my job to be someone you trust. I'm sorry I failed you, Anakin."

"Don't say that! It's my fault! I should have listened to you. I'm sorry I was never a good Padawan. You were the best master in the entire Jedi Order." Skywalker hung his head, remorseful.

"No," Obi-Wan contested, "I wasn't ready to train someone like you. You were a great Padawan; I've learned so much from you."

At that moment, Anakin wondered if it would be inappropriate to pull his best friend into a tight hug. Though the exact words weren't spoken aloud, Skywalker knew he had been partially forgiven by at least one of the few remaining people who mattered most to him. He smiled at the thought of his soon-to-be child growing up on Naboo, surrounded by loving parents and adoring extended family members.

There was so much more that Anakin wanted to say, but the impromptu Council Meeting concluded when a Med-Droid rushed towards the trio, "Master Jedi, Senator Amidala is going into labor. I recommend you come with me immediately."