Chapter 13: Senate Intrigue

Anakin looked away from the Holomap he was studying, and towards his crew. It was as if the Clone Wars were still raging, and he, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Rex were sent on mission after mission. His comlink buzzed, shaking the Jedi from his thoughts.

   "General Skywalker, do you copy?" Padmé's blue hologram projected onto Anakin's palm, "General Skywalker?"

   "This is General Skywalker. I am here and alive," Anakin alerted, a smirk tugging at his face. He was glad to see Padmé again and her smile radiated despite being blue and glitchy.

   "Good," Senator Amidala-Skywalker sighed and rolled her eyes, "Rabé contacted me with her coordinates. I will transmit them to you now."

   After a brief pause, Anakin announced, "Got 'em!" he typed in the new coordinates and made the jump to hyperspace. Despite sensing Padmé's urge to end the transmission promptly, Anakin wanted to talk to her more. About anything, really. He asked, "What did your handmaidens think of me?"

   "What do you mean?" Padmé responded, glancing at the time. Why would Anakin bring up that topic now? I can't be caught talking to him here and now. He couldn't have possibly heard my conversation with Rabé and Sabé a few nights ago. She mentally chastised herself for allowing them to speak so ill of her husband as he slept beside her. Unless he wasn't asleep, Padmé reminded herself. Anakin hadn't slept properly since Mustafar but it didn't seem appropriate for her to ask. "They knew, of course."

   "Well, I know that, but did they approve?" Padmé was trying to conceal something and Anakin was determined to find out what.

   "Um, not exactly." The Senator's stance shifted, "Sabé and Rabé were very clear in their opinions about our relationship. However, you shouldn't concern yourself with that. You are on a mission, remember?"

   She's deflecting, Anakin told himself, and I can do the same. "Yeah, I'll talk to you soon. Good luck with the Senate. Love you."

—————————
   Senator Amidala-Skywalker ended the transmission and took a deep breath. That went splendid, she thought. Padmé practiced her address to the Senate one last time before gathering her belongings and making her way towards the Senate Chambers. The hallowed halls of justices seemed even more steeped in corruption than before. The Republic had devolved into the Empire, and the Senate became more of a formality to keep peace than to actually bridge change. Truthfully, Padmé felt like an impostor in her government now. The Rebellion was working to overthrow the Empire, something treasonous and ethically wrong. What was she doing? Padmé knew this was all so terribly wrong. She nodded to Bail Organa and Mon Mothma as they passed, and acknowledged Senator Riyo Chuchi's, "Congratulations!" and, "I'm so sorry for your loss." Senator Chuchi wasn't aware of the Rebellion, but she wasn't a supporter of the Empire either. Padmé hoped her allies in the Senate would continue to trust her, even after they heard the speech she was about to give.

   Good luck, Anakin's incredulous voice repeated to her.

——————————
   "...and the Death Star will help bring peace and order to the galaxy!" Padmé announced, completing her speech. She didn't agree with anything she had just said, but Mon had promised that it would look suspicious to decline the Emperor's favor.

   "That is outrageous!" Senator Organa shouted, exactly how the Rebel Leaders had planned.

   "I concur," Senator Mothma agreed, "This weapon will instill fear upon the galaxy, and frighten systems into submission."

   As more senators joined the cry against the Death Star Project, the Emperor raised his raspy voice, "Order! We will let the vote decide the fate of the project. Now, senators, cast your votes, and we will reconvene once they are all counted."

   Padmé wandered the halls of the Senate until a Red Guard stopped her and alerted the Nubian Senator that her presence was requested by the Emperor. "You wanted to see me?" She asked in a small voice as she entered the dimly-lit office.

   "Yes, my dear," Palpatine croaked, "Come in, sit down." He gestured to the seat at the desk in front of him, "I sent some of my guards to the Jedi Temple to recover some Holocrons, and they came back with these." The Emperor lifted a box from below his desk and set it in front of Padmé. "These items were recovered from Skywalker's quarters. You might want to hold on to them."

   Senator Amidala-Skywalker peered into the box. As promised, inside were pod racing posters and models of starfighters Anakin had held onto. "Thank you," she said, "I will give them to Luke when he is old enough."

   "Good. Good. Or you could give them to Anakin himself when you return to Naboo."

   Padmé was shocked by the Emperor's statement. "Pardon?" she asked. However inside, the Senator panicked. Ani, she repeated to herself, Ani, no. He knows.

   "My dear, don't pretend. I sensed Kenobi and Skywalker long before I arrived on Alderaan. And as for your pitiful Rebellion, you are only allowed to walk free today because I require you for the greater good." Sidious chuckled.

   "Whatever you're planning, you won't get away with it." the Senator's voice was firm, like the tone Queen Amidala used years ago. She stood up and walked towards the door, refusing to look back.

   "I wouldn't be so certain," Palpatine remarked, "It would be a shame if something were to happen on Corellia. A mission you proposed?"

   Padmé did not respond and Sidious continued, "I look forward to seeing the results of the vote. The Senate's fate relies on it."

   The Senator of Naboo whirled around, "You can't disband the Senate over a vote, not in your favor! How will you keep the systems in order?"

   "Oh, but I can. And you, Senator Skywalker, shouldn't worry about that. Now, I recommend you take this box and never step foot on Coruscant after the Senate meeting." The Emperor folded his arms across his chest and allowed a wicked smile to spread across his scarred face.

   Padmé stormed out of the office, her heart racing. As she hurried though the halls, her heart pounded and Padmé's suffocating dress flowed around her. What do I do now? A small scared part of her asked. The Emperor held all the cards. He knew how to hurt Padmé if he wanted to. Call Anakin, the voice said. No! Padmé consoled, He's on a mission. He can't worry about this now.

   "Senator Amidala!" Bail Organa said, smiling, "Are you ready for tonight?"

   "Bail," Padmé whispered, visibly distraught, "We have so much to discuss."

Yes, Anakin gets his stuff back. I'm so sorry this took so long, and I know it's not the best but I swear it gets better.

Thank you so much for reading and please remember to vote and comment!