T W E L V E

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

I N F L U E N C E S

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Harley's bedroom door creaked open revealing John with a large mug in his hands. He came in and sat on the edge of her bed again offering a steaming mug.

She thanked him and took it with a grateful smile.

"We're out of tea and coffee, so I made you a hot chocolate." He fixed the glasses on the bridge of his nose. "Do you think your nightmares are because you're not comfortable here?"

Harley felt awful. John and John B were already up this morning getting ready for their day; it was a Monday so John B had school. She had woken up ten minutes ago screaming and John had rushed in here to calm and comfort her.

"No. I like it here." He wouldn't send her away right? Harley wouldn't be able to take it if he did, even if he thought he was doing what was best for her. She wiped away her tears hastily and straightened up. "I really like it here. I do. You won't send me away right? I'll be better. Happier. I'll make the nightmares go away and then you don't have to cast me away. I promise."

Harley looked at him with wide pleading eyes anticipating his response. She watched him frown, had she said something wrong?

John eased the cup out of Harley's hands and pulled her into a warm hug. She took a moment to ease into it, but quickly found herself wrapping her arms tightly around him, like he did her. She shut her eyes and clung to John scared he'd let her go.

"I'm not going to send you away, Jellyfish. I enjoy you being here. It's nice to have a female presence in the house and somebody for John B." John held onto her tighter and hesitantly ran a large hand over her hair and soothingly down her back. "Never promise to force yourself to do something. You don't have to do that here. If you have nightmares then you have nightmares. If you feel sad, you don't have to pretend to be the opposite."

Harley sniffled. "I'm sorry. It's just difficult to deal with what's happening with me, because I don't have a clue what happened."

"Don't apologise. It will take time." He gave me a reassuring squeeze. "Why don't you rest up a little longer. I'm going to take John B, Pope and JJ to school. I'll be back after."

"Okay."

"When I get back... would you like to, maybe, go out for the afternoon. Take your mind off things."

Harley cracked a genuine smile. "That would be nice."

Harley had spent a couple hours out on the water with John. Once he established how far Harley was willing to go without fear and high anxiety, he had taught her how to fish and a little about boats when she began asking questions.

The two had bonded with high spirits, laughter and cheesy dad jokes. Unsurprisingly, Harley loved spending time with John. He made her feel safe and cared for like a parent would. He was patient when she forgot something or couldn't express something. Most importantly, he taught her things.

"Harley, I need to go to the Cameron estate. Is it alright if I make a detour home or would you like me to drop you off first? John B should be home soon."