S E V E N T E E N

The Cameron family, plus Harley had arrived at the golf club. They were the hosts this year for Midsummer's. Rose and Ward had taken the lead, swiftly followed by Sarah. Harley went to link arms with Wheezie when the younger sibling was gently nudged aside and Rafe hooked her arm with his.

"Hey!"

"Can it, Wheezie." Rafe shot immediately.

Harley tugged her arm back with no joy and scowled."What are you doing." Was this boy insane? Scratch that. What chemical imbalance was present in his brain that kept him psychotic and stupid? "Get off me."

"You're walking in with us so you could at least try to look the part."

"What part? I'm not your girlfriend. I am however quite charmed by your little sister and would go as far as to call her my friend. So get off and let me walk with her."

"Did you hear that Rafe," Wheezie snickered with a mischievous grin. "Harley likes my personality."

"I told you to be sh- be quiet, twerp." Rafe ensured Harley wouldn't be able to let go. "Just smile."

Harley hadn't realised that whilst they had been bickering, Rafe had led them after the rest of the family and now they were stood by open glass doors. She sobered from her anger instantly and plastered on her beaming smile for all watchful eyes to see.

"You look beautiful, by the way."

Harley narrowed her eyes at the boy, but kept her mouth shut and smile sparkling. Soon enough, Rose and Ward meandered into the crowd of their Kook friends and followers. Ward had so much status here and yet supposedly Harley's old boss ranked higher in Kook levels. The same man that owned a random garage on a random island.

Harley pulled away from Rafe hoping to spy Kiara hating on the Kook event somewhere. It was the only way Harley would get through the night.

"Where are you going?"

"Away from you."

"Look around. There's nowhere to go. Your Pogues aren't here." Rafe rolled his eyes. "I'll go get you a drink."

Wheezie stepped forward in place of her disappearing brother. "It's weird seeing him so obsessed with someone. I mean, it makes sense for him, but it's so funny. He's such a simp for you."

Harley forced a small smile, unable to tell the little girl that said simp had once pinned her down to his bed and screamed at her.

"So, what do you normally do at these things?" Harley glanced around at all of the expensively dressed people. All adults sipped on champagne.

It was peculiar to think a few miles south still didn't have electricity and yet hundreds of fairylights lit up the outdoors like a thousand fireflies and waterfalls of light.

"Not much. It's kind of boring actually. I normally hover around dad or come up with things to entertain my friends and I."

Harley hummed.

"Where are you friends? I can take you to them."

"Back inside. Nothing really gets fun until like after eleven. The music kind of gets good too."

"All right." This night had a slither of hope. "Let's get you to your friends."

Seeking out three other girls, Wheezie's height, and two lanky boys was easy enough. Harley had stayed and chatted with them for a bit. The girls had been in awe of her old relationship with Rafe and the boys had been in awe of her boobs. At that point she decided to leave.

Of course, she then bumped into Topper and Kelce's parents. They gushed at her dress and were happy to see her. She didn't get why.

Being stuck with Kook parents was something out of a nightmare, especially when you were a Pogue. They had been quizzing her and questioning her about the future. Topper's mum made a comment about Harley being an eligible maiden and then proceeded to scan the pair with interest when Topper came over.