S E V E N

The air sizzled with tension as the sun beat down on the Pogues. It had been fifteen minutes and one long explanation about Cruz from Harley since she had woken from her seizure. She sipped gingerly on her water, answering any questions or just hearing the group's reaction to what she had to say.

Harley couldn't stop rubbing at the prominent pulse in her neck. Her nerves were still levelling out, but she felt apprehensive and guilty as she watched John B's reaction to everything. Everybody but JJ was processing everything she had explained, though Pope seemed the most troubled. His face was scrunched in thought as he surveyed their surroundings.

"So, to summarise, the big guy that just trashed and ransacked the Chateau is the same guy that kidnapped you last year. You knew who he was months ago, but you're only just telling us now." Pope had his hands on his head, disbelief still smeared on his face. "You think he knows who you are, were, before the accident and you think he knows your family. Did you not think about going to the cops sooner, maybe?"

"Pope," JJ said firmly. His eyes were yelling at Pope to shut up, but Pope was too wrapped up in getting out what he needed to say.

"I don't get why the cops are never a viable option. Does no one see how crazy it is that we're not running, sprinting, to the cops right now?" Pope looked around. "I see a problem."

Harley murmured, "I'm sorry."

Harley had noticed the trail of tears on Kiara's face earlier. It was obvious her friend had been shaken up by the two square groupers and Harley's news hadn't eased the slow dying panic amongst the group.

Kiara's eyes were doe like as she rubbed at her cheeks. "This is all messed up. Maybe we should go to Peterkin."

Pope threw out his hand in Kie's direction. "Yes."

"No." John B finally spoke up. "If we go to Peterkin, then she's just going to have Harley taken away and then DCS are going to come for me."

"I don't want to be split up," Harley interjected quickly standing up straight. She refused to be taken away from her home here with John B or even separated in foster care. She'd keep her head down and stay a million miles away from the cops if it meant everything could stay the same.

"John B, Harley, this is serious," Kiara argued. "You don't know that Peterkin will get DCS involved."

John B shook his head. "She will. Uncle T isn't here. We don't have a legal guardian right now."

"I'm really sorry. I should have said something sooner, but everything was going great. We were all happy and getting through it despite everything. I didn't want to ruin that and have the cops around constantly again. I honestly didn't think Cruz would show up again and I never thought he'd be linked to John."

JJ stepped forward, his eyes glanced to Harley, and said, "Maybe the link is just a coincidence. I mean what are the chances it's more than that? Very slim. That's what Peterkin will say. So why go to the cops for what we already know? Fuck the square groupers, I have a gun, we'll be ready for 'em next time."

Kiara face palmed. "You did not just say that."

"A coincidence is plausible." Pope started. "But there's so many other factors. Like who is Limbrey?"

Harley shrugged feeling nervous when they all looked to her. "I've seen the name on papers at work. Cruz and Ratface mentioned the name Renfield, too. I've heard that name before in a memory or at least I think it's a memory."

Bells rung in John B's head, interest sparking. He stepped closer to Harley pulling out his dad's compass. "Renfield... Are you sure they said Renfield? Are you sure Renfield is a person?"