T H R E E

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

C A N ' T   K I L L   A   

R O U T L E D G E

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Ruminations full of bargaining and reasoning had clouded much of the day and dampened the feeling of everything.

The question that bugged Harley the most about the Pogues, why didn't they come look for her? John B she understood, because his last ever words to her were about not wanting anything to do with her. Kiara, Pope, and especially JJ hadn't shared in that sentiment, so she couldn't fathom why they wouldn't search or try to save her from the Cameron's. If it had been any of the others kidnapped and trapped, she'd do everything she could to get then out.

They were her best friends, and JJ had wanted to be her boyfriend. Did she not matter?

Her mind reasoned with her and pushed the idea that it was because John B and Sarah were gone. They were mourning. But that provoked another issue. Surely, they would have wanted to find Harley even quicker to let her know what had happened. They knew how much she treasured her relationship with John B, maybe it wasn't enough to them. They had known him longer.

The negatives were loud, yet at the end of it all Harley still wanted to be around her friends. Her new, old family felt way too awkward and suffocating. Plus she had built up some resentment.

Dust kicked up in the air as Harley kicked her feet through the dry path to the Chateau. She turned and waved at Frankie, before disappearing into the silent house. The door closed shut behind her and bathed her back in darkness. The air felt stale and depressing. Everything felt still and... dead.

"Kiara, I already told you, I don't need you to stay here with me."

Hazel eyes shot up to the shirtless, shaggy blonde emerging from the hall. Her heart lurched in his direction, straining to reach him. She held back. She had missed JJ, she knew that. Everyone at the Cameron estate, and her new family knew it. Now seeing him she realised she missed him more than she originally thought, if that were possible, and so she felt even more hurt.

"Harls?" JJ flicked on the light. She shut her eyes in protest at the brightness and missed the pure look of shock on JJ's face. She opened them back to see his face morph into one of elation. "Harley!"

He charged at her and engulfed her in a loving warmth. His frenetic heart sang into Harley's ear. He smelt good, like a dark musk, but she also caught hints of something else - it reminded her of herself.

JJ pulled back, only to jump start Harley's feelings for him with a passionate kiss. All of the questions and sadness melted away, all she felt was her love for JJ. She entered a haze and could only kiss him back with as much emotion. It was like falling into clouds and floating onto cloud nine.

It was scary how much she needed JJ and how much her happiness came from him. And just like that the soft touch of heaven disappeared and Harley plummeted into reality.

She eased back from the kiss, but JJ wasn't deterred. He pulled her back to his chest and peppered kisses on top of her head.

"Where have you been? I thought you were dead."

What?

Harley didn't understand.

Tear sprung to her eyes, followed by sniffles. He thought she was dead. She could have been if Rafe hadn't been pulled off her by Ward and Rose.