S E V E N

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

K O O K   C O M P R O M I S E

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

John B groaned as he sunk in his chair. He rolled his eyes and screwed up his face in disgust at what his dad was telling him.

"Surely, I can have the day off today. Harley is here, I can take care of her, maybe show her around a bit more and get her comfortable with things."

"Nice try, Bean. You've had more than enough days off this year and you won't use Harley as an excuse to have another." John handed his son his phone and house keys. "If you don't get a move on and leave in the next ten minutes, you'll be late."

"Fine. Fine." John B shovelled a spoon full of cereal into his mouth.

Harley sat crossed legged on her chair quietly eating her cereal and observing father and son. It was interesting to see how they operated in the morning, especially since it wasn't a secret John B skipped some of his lessons or took 'personal' days off. 

Harley had been awake pretty early, because of the naps she'd had the day before.  So, when she heard John telling John B to get up, she followed and got ready herself. Surprisingly, she had been the first one to enter the kitchen which left her a little lost. It felt rude to just rummage around the cupboards and fridge for food as if she lived there, even though she did now. Calling this her home and acting like it would still take her a little getting used to. 

"Hey Harley," John B got her attention.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to walk with JJ and I to school? Not all the way, just a little so you know your way back."

She didn't know what to say. Despite the immediate smile that formed on her face and the small happy feeling she got at just being asked, she was uncertain about being left to find her way back, the idea alone was quite daunting. Plus her memory still wasn't the best.

"John B, no. What if she gets lost on the way back? She still doesn't know the island."

Harley gazed at John who looked very concerned.

"That's why I said not all of the way. Harley's gonna be stuck here all day, otherwise, bored out of her mind."

John sighed. "I'll give you and JJ a ride and Harley can join." He turned to her. "How's that?"

"Alright. At least then there's no possibility of me getting lost."

"Sounds good to me." John B grabbed his and Harley's empty bowls, leaving them in the sink. "Let's go, Harley."

Harley shadowed John B as he pocketed his phone, keys and shoved a couple of books into his bag. On the way out he grabbed his dad's truck keys and held the front door open for Harley who'd slipped her trainers on.

"How far away is your school?"

"A couple of minutes by car. Maybe around fifteen when walking." John B unlocked the truck and opened the back door for Harley. She stepped up and slid in. He made his way around the other side and sat in the back with her. "It's close, but the island is a fairly big place, so having a car to get around is easier."

"Can you drive yet?"

"I can drive, but I'm not old enough for a full licence. I can only drive when supervised." John B glanced out of the window and buckled his seat belt. "Can you drive?"

Harley stopped to think about it.

"Yeah. I think I do."

"Cool! Next time my dad and I do a practice session, you'll have to show us how good you are."