Chapter 31

3 months after Chocolate's 12th birthday

I am dying.

There is no other way to put it. Which ever way you do put it, it still means it's the end of my life.

I was sick for a while and I am in pain right now but I have Emma beside me and she's grown up to be beautiful women.
Her piercingly blue eyes are filled with tears. And a couple are streaming down her cheeks.

I was always afraid of death. All those times I was about to be put down. But I'm getting the death that I've always wanted. In my home with my owner... And I'm not scared anymore. It's my time and although I have had some tough times I had a wonderful life.
I am thankful for everything I have been given.

But if I could cry I would. Maybe because of the pain, maybe because I don't want to leave... I don't know.
I'm lying on the floor, my eyelids heavy and I'm keeping my eyes steady on Emma.
I don't want to leave her. I never want to leave her but I have to. Maybe I'll see her again someday, hopefully not soon.

There are a lot of people with a lot of different views on death.
I don't know which one is true but I guess it doesn't matter anymore. Nothing matters, except for what's going on right now.
My last views of life, of Emma, of my home.

Maybe my life is seen as sad but I think the good in my life overpowers the sad. My happy moments with people I love are worth everything.

It's time to face my end and start somebody else' beginning.

My eyelids are getting heavier and the last thing I see before they close, before I die, is an unclear image of John, the floppy eared dog, Goldie and the kitten. They are all there waiting for me. I don't know if I am seeing things from the pain or if that's where I'm going.