Chapter 14

Six days later when I woke up I heard a weird breathing noise.
It sounded heavy like a struggle to breath. I looked for the source of the sound, it was John.
He was lying in bed struggling to breath.
I started to panic.
Was this really happening!? What was I supposed to do?
I felt as if I was the one struggling to breath.
Was he dying? We're these his last minutes?
He couldn't talk because he couldn't breath.
I needed to get help.
I barked and howled loudly and made all the noise I could.
I whined like crazy when the breathing became less. I scratched the doors with panic, distress and sadness.
I went over to him when nobody came to help. I was whining helplessly and laying next to him, licking him hoping it would somehow fix everything.
How could this happen?
I thought good things happened to good people and John was definitely the best person I knew.
His breathing became less and less and so did his movement. I was whining so loud, why wasn't anyone coming to help?
This couldn't be the end. What would I do without him, what would I be without him..?
The breathing stopped.

He was dead.

I calmly lied on him, there was nothing I could do...
My only good owner and like all the good things in life he was gone. I wished I was a human so I could cry and get all sadness and sorrow out but all I could do was whine loudly in hope that somebody would come and somehow bring John back to life...

My constant whining finally attracted somebody. The foot steps got louder and louder until somebody got to the door.

"John?" It was John's neighbor Susan.

She knocked on the door.
I howled.
Maybe their was hope.
I tried to open the door by scratching and pawing on it. It was no use, I didn't know how to open the door... I whined again.

"John what are you doing to your dog?" She said suspiciously.

She thought John was hurting me! John would never! I couldn't believe she thought that he would ever abuse me.

Suddenly a miracle happened.

My paw hit the door handle and it opened!
Susan was surprised to see that I had opened the door, frankly so was I. I ran towards John and she followed. When she saw him she gasped hysterically.

"Oh my god!" She started crying.

I watched helplessly. It was the worst feeling in the world. Not being able to do anything for someone you love.

Susan was shivering. She called 911 and checked his pulse.

She kept repeating "Oh my god!".

After what felt like forever I heard sirens. A couple men came in next to John. Susan was now sobbing.

The men sighed and said "We're too late.".

It was official. I felt like I was the one who had died.
Susan grabbed John's hand and squeezed it. I got on to John's bed and snuggled with him.

The men left.
The house was silent.
John was dead.