Chapter 16

From the old rusty cages with about three or four dogs in each, from the smell of cheap kibble and from the sound of barking and whining I knew what this place was... It was a pound, a dog shelter!
I couldn't believe it!
Susan wasn't adopting me she was putting me in the pound! I froze. I had been in a cage most of my life and I wasn't gonna go in one again!
Susan pulled me towards the shelter as I refused but eventually she just dragged me there.
Why did the bad things always happen to me!?
There was a desk with a young man behind it, between the two back rows of cages.

The young man looked at me and then looked at Susan. His eyes were very bright blue and noticeable.

"Did you come to drop the dog off?" He asks.

"Yes." She replies.

"Ok, there are a few questions you need to answer and then we'll take him." He says.

Susan looks surprised like she was expecting to just leave me and go but even through she had a surprised look on her face she couldn't hide her grief.

He doesn't wait for a reply before he starts asking the questions: "First question: What is the name, gender and breed of this dog?"

"His name is Chocolate, he is a male and he is a german shepherd."

"What is the reason you brought him to the shelter?"

Her eyes fill with tears but she pushes them down.

She takes a deep breath and says: "His owner...um....past away."

"I'm sorry for your loss." He says but he doesn't really mean it.

He doesn't even look up from the computer where I'm assuming he is writing down the answers.

"Does Chocolate have any sort of aggression, possessiveness or  disobedience?"

"No."

"Does he have all his shots?"

"Ummm... I wasn't really his owner so I don't know."

"That's ok just give me the name of his vet and I'll-"

I stop listening and look around. I see a bunch of dogs in cages all trying to do the same thing: escape.
Soon it will be me in those cages... Soon it will be me trying to escape...

By the time I start listening the conversation again the young man with blue eyes is saying something: "Ok we will take Chocolate, and by the way, I'm supposed to tell you that in seven days of not being adopted we put our dogs down..."

The world around me freezes. Not again!
It's the same thing over and over. My life could be summarized with cages and possible deaths...
Susan says "Okay."

And then leaves. Okay? Seriously?