Chapter 28

The first thing I noticed was the women's car.
Instead of putting us in the back seat like John used to, she put us in the trunk which was completely made for dogs.
I didn't know what that meant.
Did she have lots of dogs? Did she travel by car a lot and want to take us with her?
I lied in the back, thankful that I at least had Goldie with me. Goldie was looking back at me but he looked depressed.
He just lost Hazel.
He loved Hazel and Hazel loved him. It was like when I lost John.
I continued to look at him trying to express my sympathy.

***

After at least twenty minutes the car stopped suddenly and we almost flew out the window.
The woman came and opened the trunk.
When we get out of the car we get to a building that look like it can't be taller than two floors but is very big and has a huge garden with obstacles in it.

This confuses me. Maybe she likes agility?

We go in and there is a front desk. The floor is pretty much covered in muddy paw prints.

That's when the question I have feared and purposely avoided inevitably comes to my mind. What if this is some sort of pound?

"Here's two more." She says casually to the man at the desk.

She tells him our names and breeds (that she probably learned from Hazel).
After that she ties our leashes to some poles next to the desk. The poles looked like they were meant to hold dog leashes.
The women leaves.
Goldie lies down obviously still depressed.
I whined and barked, there was no way I was going back to a pound without a fight.
The man told me to shut up every now but I didn't give up.

Then two people came one girl and one boy. They both seemed to be in there thirties.
The girl had fiery red hair and green eyes, the man had light brown hair, freckles and blue eyes.

"Any newbies?" The girl asked obviously excited.

"There are two over there." The man at the desk said pointing at us.

"Oh! There so cute!" She said.

"Are you going to get this excited every time a new dog comes?" The freckled man teases.

"Yup!" She replies.

"Ladies first." He says gesturing to us.

"I want this one." She says reaching down to pet Goldie.

She grabs his leash.

"Ok." The freckled man says grabbing my leash.

"What are their names?" The woman asks the man at the desk.

"That ones Goldie, and that ones Chocolate."

"Chocolate, I like that name." The freckled man says.

The woman laughs and gives the freckled man a peck on the lips.
Then I realize the ring on her finger and the love in their eyes. 

"See you later!" She says.

"Looking forward too it." He replies as they part their separate ways, and so do Goldie and I.

Maybe forever...