Chapter 36

Muhammad and his friends were in the car headed to Maryam's house. His father and uncles are probably already there seeing as they left before them, they were going to have a talk and ask for her hand in marriage.

He was finally going to marry the woman of his dreams, he is so excited and nervous at the same time. His friends were just teasing him, saying that if he's not careful his mouth might expand from the smiling and all.

"Nima dai let me go and find someone dai." Muaz, his friend said shaking his head. They all laughed and agreed.

They arrived at Maryam's house shortly after. They were met with some cars parked outside indicating that people were already there. "You should head inside first, I'll get the fruits," Muhammad said when he just wanted to wind down. He needed to calm himself. They raised questions but regardless went inside, leaving him and Sadiq. They sat back in the car.

All his cheerfulness died down, he was suddenly so anxious. They sat in silence for a couple of minutes before Sadiq turned to him. "I don't understand why you are suddenly tense? You were fine just a moment ago."

In a low tone, he said, "you won't understand."
"Try me." When he saw that Sadiq wanted to bombard him with questions, he quickly got up, "let's go." They carried some baskets of fruits from the boot and headed inside.

Their maid opened the door for them and collected the baskets and took them to the kitchen. The house was already noisy with people here and there. Muhammad closed his eyes and groaned slightly. They slowly made their way to the living room. "Assalam Alaikum."

A lot of people; his father, uncles, cousins, friends, and also her uncles were all seated talking and laughing. "Waalaikum Assalam." They answered with a smile. Some started teasing him and some just looked at him with amusement evident on their faces. Honestly, no one saw this coming. Muhammad quickly masked his worry with a smile.

He was just worried that Maryam would find out about his illness some way and refuse to marry him. Little did he know that's exactly why she proposed. He found a space on the carpet and sat down.

        ——————————————

       Maryam was upstairs in mama's room with ya amma, ya siddiqa, ya Fatima, Jannah, and Yasmin. She was quiet today which was so unlike her. "Ya Allah," she sighed. They all watched her as she fidgets with the end of her clothing, she has been like this for almost an hour. They have tried everything they can think of to cheer her up but it just doesn't work.

"I don't even get why she's so nervous, it's not like they're getting married now..." Jannah whispered. Ya Fatima eyed her shutting her up.

Maryam heard what she said but chose to ignore it. She was sweating profusely as if the room wasn't cold enough. "Ya Muhammad has arrived." Nabila ran into the room saying. Her heart pounded and her hand began to feel clammy against her bouncing knee.

Why is she so nervous? There's nothing to be nervous about, right? She asked herself. They are down there discussing my marriage now. Oh, Allah! Her heart was threatening to burst from her ribcage. I can't. She was worrying too much.

Siddiqa pushed open the door and walked in. "Salam Alaikum." She salaamed. They all looked at her and smiled, clearly thankful for her arrival. She might be able to cheer Maryam up.

"Waalaikum Assalam." They exchanged pleasantries then she asked where Maryam was. "Right there." Ya amma pointed at the corner beside Mama's bed. Siddiqa noticed her then and her heart swelled at the sight of her.

She went and sat on the bed beside her. "Maryam." She called. Maryam looked up and smiled weakly at her, "you're here." She nodded and sat beside her on the floor, "tell me honestly Maryam, what's wrong? This is not you, something has to be wrong?"