Chapter 9

She peeped her head through the small crack of the door to their bedroom, she found Ya amma and Yasmin both seated on the carpet, eating tuwo and conversing.

She smiled mischievously as she thought of giving them a scare. She ran into the bedroom and sprawled on her bed without warning which sent Ya Amma falling back to the ground, and Yasmin flying towards their toilet. "Subhanallah!" Ya amma exclaimed, cradling her chest in her hand. Maryam started laughing so hard that tears streamed down her face. When they all saw that it was Maryam, ya amma rushed to her side and hit her saying, "You this stupid girl, you nearly gave me a heart attack."

Maryam rubbed where ya amma just hit and pouted saying, "but I didn't give you right? Why did you have to hit me like this. Gaskiya ni I'll report you to baba just because he is not around doesn't mean you can just bully me anyhow."

"Wallahi ya maryam someone will think you are the auta," Yasmin said looking at maryam and shaking her head. "Wallahi kuwa. Ai its all baba's fault, he pampers her alot. I wonder how you are going to get married if you remain like this, you better change." Ya amma eyed her, as she grabbed her phone from under the pillow.

Maryam looked at them from one person to another, the smile she had on her face faded and her expression became ardent.

Adda amma and yasmin fought hard to hold back their laughter. "But ai everything we said is true, so.."

"Ughh.. whatever." She rolled her eyes and got up, keeping her bag and veil on her bed. "So how is aunty Sadiya and them Aisha?" Adda amma asked going back to her food. "They are all fine." She then remembered Abdallah. "Oh ya abdallah is downstairs seff." She shook her head at her clumsiness and rushed out to mama's room to tell her.

She told mama and went downstairs to call him upstairs. She found him seated in the living room downstairs. "Ya Abdallah do you want something?"

"Just water."
"Ok, Mama is calling you," she said, and headed to the kitchen to get him some water.

She took the water to him, and went back to their room. "I met mimi today." She sat on the bed facing them.

"Really, where?"
"On our way here, we stopped by to give ya Muhammad a hamper... then she told them exactly what happened.

"Oh Allah, that girl I wonder what Ya Muhammad sees in her," Amma crossed her arms, clenching her jaw. Yasmin scoffed, "Wallahi."

"Amma, Maryam,Yasmin come downstairs your father is here." Their mother called. Maryam eyes lit up, a huge smile enveloping her face. "Baba!" She shrieked and got up, running as fast as she can to the living room downstairs. She found baba standing by the long seater, talking to Mama. "Baba," she called happily and jumped into his arms.

"My baby." He giggled twirling them laughing. The family were not surprised because they were always like that.

"Sannu da dawowa baba,"Amma and Yasmin greeted both closing in to hug him.

"Yauwa my girls kuna lafiya?" he asked, hugging them both. "Fine Alhamdulillah." They both said with a smile.

"Masha Allah." he smiled taking a sit. Maryam also sat next to him, and collected his phone. "Dan Allah Maryam let him rest." Her mother literally begged, sending looks to her daughter.

"Aa kyaleta." He said with a smile holding her hand. She looked at their mother and sticked her tongue out at her playfully.

"Jairan yarinya ni kike ma gwalo." Mama laughed as she moved to hit her but she quickly ran to Abdallah and hid behind him laughing. They all laughed, and moved to their various sits.