Chapter 51

As soon as Maryam arrived at the reception table, she demanded to see Muhammad. The receptionist looked up from her laptop dumbfounded. "Excuse me, madam, what did you say?" Maryam almost rolled her eyes but she calmed down and said, "I'm here to see Dr. Muhammad."

The receptionist; Jade wore a small smile as she said, "oh, you'll like to make an appointment. Ok here, take this form and fill it and wait over there." She pointed at a set of chairs that dozens of people had already occupied, leaving only a few chairs. Maryam glared at the woman and said, "ok let me rephrase this, you don't get what I'm saying or who I am." She looked to her left and right then lowered her voice as she said, "I'm Doctor Muhammad's wife, and I have some important matters to discuss with him."

Jade raised her eyebrows as she surveyed Maryam from head to toe which Maryam frowned upon. "O...ok. Even if you were his wife, Sorry but I cannot simply let you pass. He is very busy as you can see," she gestured at the patients seated in the waiting hall. "Half of those patients are his. So please madam you should sit over there and wait for him."
"But it's an emergency."
"You don't suppose something other than emergency will bring anyone to the hospital now, do you?" Jade cocked her eyebrows.

Maryam wanted nothing but to bash her head on the table but chose peace over violence. "Ok. Call him then, and tell him that I'm here to see him."
Jade's lips thinned into that a polite smile that was starting to get on Maryam's nerves and said, "I'm sorry but I can't do that, as I said he is busy and it's against the rules to disturb a doctor unless it's something very very serious."
"And what makes you think this is not serious? Just try and call him."
"Madam for the second time, I cannot. So please if you are not here to see a doctor, can you shift and allow people who are here for that to do just that?"

Maryam looked behind her and there were 2 people standing waiting. Maryam sent Jade a glare to which Jade responded with a smile. She grabbed the paper and pen, filled out the form, and paid the money.
"Thank you, madam, I'll be sure to call you when it's your turn," Jade said.

Maryam bit back a remark and went and took a seat. She was so pissed. While waiting, she tried Muhammad's number again which went unanswered. How could he?

She spent a good 3 hours waiting before she heard her number called over the microphone. She got up and ignored the annoying look on Jade's face as she walked past her to Muhammad's office.

Holding the handle, she heaved a breath and said a prayer before she knocked and pushed it open. She stepped into the office and closed the door behind her. Seated behind the office table was Muhammad in all his glory. "Welcome please take a seat." He said as he finished writing in one file and picked up another, probably hers.

He whipped his head, as soon as he read the name written on the file just in time to catch Maryam's eyes as she took a seat in front of him, confusion written all over his face. "Maryam? What brought you to the hospital? Are you ok?"

Maryam glared at him from behind her glasses. "How would you know that? When you left me all alone at home without as much as a call to tell me you were not coming back home last night." Muhammad groaned and closed his eyes as he gently massaged his temple. "Maryam..."
"What if something happened to me, huh? What'll you do? Do you even know how worried I was?"
"Maryam..." he started again but was interrupted. "And stop calling me Maryam." She snapped.

He raised his eyebrows and said, "is that not your name?" She whispered something under her breath which he didn't quite catch then said, "it is but it isn't for you. You don't call me Maryam. And I don't like it when you all me Maryam." She pouted. He almost laughed but then remembered something. Then his face turned as hard as a stone. "Ok Mrs. Muhammad, what is it that brought you to the hospital?" His voice sounded so distant and far too formal. "Darling..." she started but stopped when he sharply raised a finger. "It's Doctor Muhammad here."