Chapter 11

Maryam had just came back from school clad in an ash skirt, a white shirt and a black tie. She looked really tired and exhausted. By the way she was lazily holding her bag and the frown she had on her face, you would figure just how annoyed she was.

She entered their house and went upstairs directly to mama's room. "Assalam Alaikum."
No one was in the room so she turned and headed to their room. No one was there as well. She dropped her bag and went to the toilet. Yasmin also came inside the room clad in uniform.

"Yasmin, is baba home?" Maryam had asked when she exited the toilet with a towel around her chest. "Yes, I just came from his side. He even asked about you, he was wondering how you didn't come directly to his place when you returned from school." 

"Wallahi I was exhausted and so angry at mr mathew that's why I headed here directly." She said and sat on the chair in front of the dresser. She rubbed herself dry, and applied lotion. "But i was just about to go to him anyway." She went to her wardrobe and began searching for what to wear. "Wallahi Banda kaya, and baba doesn't want to believe that." She groaned gazing over her pile of clothes.

"Duk ya wan Kayan nan naki, and you would say baki da kaya." Yasmin undressed herself and donned a pair of pajama. She wasn't even surprised that Yasmin wore pajamas by 3:00 in the afternoon because this is what she does

"You won't understand ne." She finally pulled a beige gown and wore it with a white turban. Yasmin would never understand the real burden of choosing the clothes to wear, it is just too difficult.

After she finished clearing up, she went to the kitchen and met mama preparing food. "Sannu mama." She had greeted and looked into the pot asking what she was making. "Yam pottage for your father." She took a spoon and tasted the it. "Masha Allah mama it's tastes amazing. Like always." She winked.

"Mama if it remains, I want."
"Yasmin first you."
"Ya rabb this yasmin." She rolled her eyes and grabbed pure water from the fridge. "I would just eat my share with baba." She muttered as she walked out of the kitchen. "Allah Maryam don't disturb him." Mama shouted from the kitchen which made maryam chuckled silently. It is as if she knows exactly what I am going to do.

Her heart warmed just at the thought of her father. They shared such a great relationship together. He has always being there for her ever since the beginning. Everyone close to him knew that she was  his favorite, being that he was around all through her childhood unlike the others.

She skipped to his quarters and knocked cheerfully. "Baba."
"Maryo na." He answered and welcomed her inside. She went in and sat beside him. He turned to her from the television and smiled. His eyes twinkled when he looked at her. "Baba Ina wuni."

"Ina gajiya, how was school?"
She pursed her lips and said, "it was stressful."
"What happened to you earlier, I saw you when you walked into the house. You seemed angry."

"Yes, it was mr Mathew - then she told him what had happened between her and her teacher. He had flogged her when she did nothing wrong. He didn't even wait for her to explain herself instead he decided to punish her.

Baba smiled and consoled her for a while until she stopped sulking. Moments later, mama walked in with baba's tray of food. She kept it on the center table in front of him. "Thank you." He beamed and opened the warmer.

He was about to fetch some when he saw how Maryam was sneaking looks at the food occasionally licking her lips. He chuckled and asked if she was hungry.

"Yes baba." She pouted and sneaked a look at mama who was arranging somethings on the table, it was as if she was oblivious of was what happening. "Would you like to eat this then." He pointed at the warmer with the serving spoon in his hand. "Yes please." She eagerly nod her head smiling. "No, she would not eat that." Mama said at the same time glaring at her.