Chapter 17

Muhammad hadn't planned on anybody finding out about his illness, he was careful. But Haisham found out by chance one day. Muhammad was at the office around 8pm doing some stuff when then the stomach pain began. He totally forgot about the pain, that's why he stayed behind at the office.

He clutched his stomach letting out groans and whimpers, when hashim knocked and came in. "Doctor Muhammad you.." he looked up from his phone and met Muhammad's pain stricken face.

"Innalillahi wainna ilaihi rajiun." He shouted and ran to him. "Muhammad, what is wrong?" He shook him. Muhammad opened his eyes and closed them muttering water.

Hashim looked around and found bottle water, he grabbed it and a pain killer and gave him. He swallowed it without much difficulty, and closed his eyes again. Hashim arranged the backrest for him, so he could lay down and rest for a bit.

Muhammad laid down for a while, and after some minutes his pain slowly began to subside. He got up and gulped down the remaining water. "Astagfirullah, astagfirullah." He muttered.

"Hey man, are you okay now?" He asked. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"So is this the first time?"
"First time of what?" He grabbed his phone. "Don't try to act dumb, your stomach pain mana." He rolled his eyes, and watched out for Muhammad's possible reaction.

"I would be fine, don't worry." He rested back on the sofa, and began playing game on his phone. Something he does rarely. "No, you are going to tell me, and now." He tried to sound threatening.

Muhammad raised eyebrow and smiled a little saying, "no, I'm not." He groaned saying, "come on Muhammad, if you continue like this, it's not just going to affect your health, but also your work."

Muhammad ignored him but haisham continued to disturb him until he looked up. "It's not the first time, but it's just a stomach pain, it would stop insha Allah."

"Since when?"
"About a month ago." He shrugged. Haisham listened mouth agape with incredulity. "And you didn't think it was necessary to see a doctor, probably because you are a doctor yourself." -"Muhammad this could be a serious problem."

"It could be but it's not insha Allah, so relax. I take pills and the pain reduces."

"You have to see a doctor, that's not an excuse. If you can't see me as a doctor, then you can see another person. But you have to get yourself checked, it's a serious problem. Chiwon chiki ai babban abune." - "and before you start telling me to back off, the only reason I'm doing this is because I care for, and I respect you as a friend and a half-mentor."

Muhammad's head was nodding ever so slightly and laughed at the half mentor part. "Thank you for that, and insha Allah i would see to that."

"I will keep disturbing you until you decide to see a doctor though."

He yet again nod it off and changed the topic.

——————————

"Yanzun ya maryam you have finished school kenan, I wish it was me." Yasmin said and looked at Maryam who smiled and said, "don't worry, your time will come soon insha Allah."

"Insha Allah."
"Irin you have finished school dinnan." Mama joked smiling. She was so proud of her daughter and happy that they now have an additional company at home before she goes off to start her service.

Maryam has finished all the necessary things required at school and had been at home for about two days now. She rarely goes out, and when she does, she doesn't stay long.

"But she still has her masters and PhD." Ya Mubarak said chuckling. Maryam frowned and turned to him saying, "way to ruin the mood mr man." They all laughed.

Mama looked at all of them, feeling proud and happy to call them her children. They lived a happy life.

"Yanzun maybe then marriage huh?" Mama asked intentionally raising her eyebrows. "No! no, I don't plan on.. but yeah when he comes."

Ya amma smiled and said, "when who comes?"

"My Prince Charming, my knight in shining armor. My Romeo, who will come and sweep me away.." She and her little family cackled with laughter at the end of her sentence. "Wai sweep you away."

"Su ya Maryam Cinderella." Yasmin joked which earned her a wack from Maryam. "Ya amma, what about you, when are you getting married?" Ya Mubarak asked.

All attention turned to amma who smiled and said, "I don't know, when the time is right." Mama smiled at her shyness and got up saying, "Nidai I have stuff to do now unlike you."

"Mama we should get ya amma married as soon as possible, if not she would grow old in here." Maryam teased which also earned her a slap on the back. "I won't grow old and you are talking about me as if I'm not here."

Mama shook her head at their childishness and smiled before leaving for her room.

"Seriously though, when is musty going to send his elders?" Maryam asked picking beans. They were going to cook rice and beans so. "I don't know, we haven't spoken about that yet."

"Well you should talk. You have been dating each other for over 2 years now, you should get married before you get tired of each other." Mubarak chuckled. Both Yasmin and Maryam nodded agreeing with what he said.

Ya amma dropped her own plate of beans on the sofa and said, "insha Allah, we won't get tired of one another."

Yasmin turned and whispered, "I hope so." Maryam cracked up as she was the only one that heard her. Yasmin smiled and motioned for her to keep quiet. Ya amma glared at them then went back to what they were doing.

They finished picking the beans, and Maryam went and cooked the food and they ate.

"I am so bored." Yasmin groaned dropping the novel she was reading. "There is nothing to do and this novel just makes me cry." She eyed the book and groaned again. Maryam laughed turned to her from the mirror saying, "why?"

"You know she was hired to be his caretaker because he is paralyzed neck down.. is it neck down?." -"Yeah neck down, and he wanted to commit suicide and so she took it on herself to change his mind."
"I am so reading this novel. What's its name? Did she succeed?"

"The name of the novel is 'Me before you.' And no, he said that everything is just not enough for him. When she told him that she loves him, he said no, she shouldn't that he wouldn't be able to continue living the wheelchair and being dependent on people, is just not for him."

"What! Chabb I'm not reading that."
"Allah if only and only if he didn't commit suicide that would have been the best novel that I've ever read. Because Will brings out her other side that she doesn't even know exists."

"Toh Allah ya kiyaye. Did you read 'my not so perfect life' I love the book."

"Oh yeah, I did. Mummy borrowed me the book. You know she has a whole collection of novels."

Maryam nodded in agreement, and said, "That I agree. I borrowed crazy rich Asian from her, and I am loving it."

"But we watched the movie."
"Yeah, still. The book is so much better than the movie, they removed some stuff."

"Oh I would read it when you finish please."
"Sure."
——————
Your thoughts please?
Share
Comment
Vote

💙