Chapter 1

April 8, 2021
10:45 am
Alexis' Office, A.R. Productions

Alexis

I sighed again and kept my eyes on the music sheet. I should be composing a song right now for one of our artists, but the beautiful man sleeping on the couch is pulling my attention. Like a fucking magnet.

I thought something happened to him so I got Robbie to call for a doctor. It turns out, he was just sleep-deprived. I don't care the reason why and I don't want to care, but something about him is poking my curiosity. He seemed familiar but I don't know where I saw him.

I put on my headphones and focused my attention on the task at hand. The song is supposed to be a sad love song. The typical 'I love you but you don't, so I'll let you go' kind of thing. It's all the rave nowadays.

People just love listening to songs that make their hearts pound painfully. Not sure if they're masochistic or whatever. Even broken-hearted people listen to depressing songs.

How stupid can you be? You're hurting, and you want to hurt some more by having your own pity party?

I took off my headphones, leaned against my chair, and closed my eyes. Several muddled sounds were being delivered to my ears, but I need inspiration. I want to hear that heart-wrenching sound that will tug the heartstring of the listeners.

I sat straight when I saw him stir. He lazily sat down and yawned. I grabbed the handle of my chair when he slowly opened his eyes, and turned to me, locking those mysterious gray orbs at me.

He furrowed his brows and nodded his head when realization dawned on him. Then his eyes scanned my whole office, setting his sight on the drawer on his left. He picked up the blank sketchpad and sauntered towards me, yawning lazily as he held out his hand.

My forehead creased. "What? What do you want?"

He clucked his tongue in annoyance and leaned in. My body immediately turned on its flight response and I frantically slid away from him, like he got some disease.

He arched his brows and shook his head, then reached for the permanent marker. Oh, so that's it. He wants to borrow the permanent marker.

I cleared my throat and acted as if nothing happened. "Geez, you should've told me that you wanted to borrow the marker. You scared me, man."

He rolled his eyes again and hurriedly wrote in the sketchpad.

I'm mute, you dumbass!

I scoffed. How dare he called me a dumbass? "Hah! How was I supposed to know? It's not like you have a sign on your forehead about your condition. Stupid." I added in a mocking tone.

He gasped and widened his eyes. I bet no one called him stupid before, from the way shock filled his gorgeous expr-- Nope. Don't go there. He's not gorgeous, and definitely not your type, Alex.

He angrily scribbled again on the next page. Stupid?! You're stupid, stupid! Why am I here anyway? Who are you? Did you kidnap me?!

His eyes widened in horror and stepped backward, clutching the sketchpad against his chest, as if to protect him from some perverted monster.

I snorted and stood up. "First of all, my name is Alexis Romanov, the owner of this recording company, which you tried to jump off from. Second, I did not kidnap you. I saved you, stupid. Finally, you're not my type. Don't flatter yourself."

His gray orbs were immediately filled with fury and in no time, he was swatting me like a fly with the sketchpad. I ran as far as I can from him, both of us huffing in anger and heavily panting. His lilac hair exploded and a bit messy, his plump lips pursed in a thin line, and the way those gray pools glared at me intensely... Fuck. I'm doomed.