Chapter 11

Alexis

"Stop pouting and settle down, Theo. It's not as if I'm asking you to drink poison. I told you last night that we are going to fix your unhealthy lifestyle. First, I need to know what kind of food you like, what kind of food you dislike, and then we can work from there," I explained as I whisked fruits and veggie salad.

After drizzling the olive oil and some dressing, I served his share in a medium-sized ceramic bowl. I slid the food to his side, earning a frown from him.

I can clearly see the hesitance in those gray orbs, but we have to work on something. I can't just let him consume milk and cookies. "The food's not gonna disappear by itself, Theo. Just try. I'll give you a reward later." His imaginary floppy ears perked up and his eyes blown wide.

He stared hard at the bowl and then at the fork inches away from him, and after a few seconds, he flashed a determined expression and nodded. He picked up the silverware and pierced a cherry tomato, topped with some cubed apples.

He glanced at me first before the fork slid past his lips. When he saw my encouraging smile, he also smiled and closed his eyes, then chomped on the fruits.

I admit it was so fucking adorable.

His frown loosened up and his eyes shot wide open, amazement in his expression. My lips twitched into a smug smirk and brushed the strands of his lilac hair back. "Delicious?"

Theo nodded, his eyes shining with delight, and took another forkful of the salad. "Easy, babe. It's all yours." I pour him a glass of water and wiped the side of his lips, earning me a huge grin from my baby. I shook my head slowly and turned around, silently scolding myself.

Fuck. I slipped again. I just can't help it. The word falls so naturally, and it feel so good, rolling it on my tongue. The surge of pride and superiority when I call Theo by endearment gives me a warm feeling.

I sighed again and just put the pan on the stove. I will be pan-frying chicken breasts with brown-butter garlic tomato sauce. I just found the recipe online a few weeks ago and thought, why not? It's a healthy recipe I enjoyed cooking, might as well let Theo have a taste.

Starting a healthy lifestyle does not automatically mean restraining yourself from the food you love. It's all about choosing the right ingredients. You can still cook and eat your favorites, but the good news is, you can upgrade it to a more healthy dish.

I glanced over my shoulder and my heart soared when I saw how much he enjoys his salad. I'll take note of that. I drizzled enough olive oil in a large skillet in medium-high heat and added the chicken breast. I already prepped the chicken earlier and sprinkled pepper and salt. I then put the chicken breast and I'll let it cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side.

I heard the stool scraping against the floor and before I knew it, Theo was behind me, his left arm around my waist while he lifted my right arm and put it around his shoulder, as he peeked curiously on the dish I'm about to cook.

I chuckled softly and ruffled his hair. "I will be pan-frying chicken breasts with brown-butter garlic tomato sauce. I'm trying some light breakfast options for you. Do you have a favorite food by the way?" He twisted his head and looked at me, his face scrunched adorably as he seriously thought about his favorite food.

"My phone's in the left back pocket," I added when I recognized that look. I can't have him frisking me like a security guard. Something down there might wake up if he happened to accidentally slide his hands over.

I do learn from past experiences.

He beamed at me and kissed me on the cheeks that had my lungs deflate for a few seconds before I had the chance to chase my breath, then he slipped from my grasp and snatched my phone. A sense of emptiness crept inside of me when he got away from me, and I realized that I don't like it. I furrowed my brows and felt irked.