Chapter 27

Vote and comment.

I'm still writing the chapter finale. :) Enjoy!

play the music for more feels

Chapter 27

Alexis

I opened my eyes with a wide smile and a happy heart. Our talk last night was so enjoyable and it made me happy because I got to know things about Theo. Just being beside him made everything perfect. I want to always wake up beside him and—

My forehead wrinkled into a deep frown when I pat Theo's side and all I felt was his cold sheets. I abruptly sat up, snapped my head where Theo was supposed to be, but all I saw was his made side of the bed. I don't understand why but I started to feel like something was off. My instinct was telling me that something was wrong, and I just can't point a finger at it.

I scanned my eyes around and reached for my boxers and pants. My chest tightened and my heart rate picked up when I found no trace of Theo around the cottage. No notes, letters, or anything that indicated that he's just inside the HQ or taking a walk. Did he leave me?

That thought almost shreds my heart to pieces. Why would he leave me when everything was getting so good? We just talked about our future last night, and he seemed so happy about it. Fuck! I gripped my hair in frustration and my hands rubbed my face, as I paced around the room.

What if I scared him off? Theo is so good at hiding his emotions. I should've taken baby steps before I delve into big things such as our future... and children. Oh my God. What if Theo did not want to have children and went along with me? He could've just told me if he didn't want it. I started to bite the skin on my fingertips—a habit I developed to ease my nervousness and release some tension.

I was so deep into my head when someone snapped me out of it and when I turned to the door, Trevor's serious expression said it all. I almost dropped to the floor if not for his words. "Alexis, we finally decrypted the chip. Get it together." He ordered and turned his back but he stopped for a second without glancing at me. "Yes, Theo's gone. That's the reason why you should get it together because your boyfriend's life is on the line."

****

"Mom? Dad? What are you doing here?" I was surprised to see my parents sitting inside Trevor's office. The two of them looked tense.

"I took the initiative to call them here. After all, they have some explaining to do." Trevor replied and went to sit on his chair behind his desk. Still confused, I walked towards my parents and gave them brief hugs, but from their stiff posture, I knew I had to prepare myself.

It would have been better if I was still able to hear sounds, but my ability disappeared after Theo and I's first night. I don't know what I was supposed to feel after. On the bright side, I was relieved because I can finally have some peace. I won't need to hear so many sounds that actually caused my anxiety attacks. On the other hand, I won't be able to know other people's motives and intentions, which actually sucks.

"Mom, Dad, what's going on? Is there something you have been keeping from me?" Mom and Dad looked at each other, then at Trevor. I have never seen them bothered like this. My eyes caught a folder resting on top of the coffee table and before my parents could take it away from me, I flipped it open and I hitched a breath when I saw my picture and profile on the first page.

Name, age, birthday, medical condition... "A r-rare autoimmune disease? What does this mean?"

"S-Son... please, listen to us before you react negatively—" I took a step back when mom tried to hold my arm and I saw a flash of hurt cross her eyes. She took a shaky breath and nodded her head. "I-I'm sorry. Please, we will tell you everything... just... listen first. What you will do after will be up to you." I glanced at dad and he was also looking at me desperately and imploringly.