Chapter 15

Things will kick up a notch from here on out. Keep your eyes peeled.

Alexis

I stared at the door where Theo entered and gritted my teeth. I clutched my chest and expelled the breath I was holding. It hurts. Being rejected by Theo hurts. The sides of my head throbbed and something inside me is slowly breaking.

It's the kind of pain that numbs my senses and sucks away my strength. Not only that, I was so tired from searching for him. I was looking for Theo for a week without rest. I'm emotionally and physically exhausted, but I will do everything for him.

After he ran away from me, I was rooted in place because of confusion. It was supposed to be the usual teasing, but Theo reacted differently. He threw me a scornful glare with his teary eyes, and it left me out of words. My mind went blank and before I knew it, he was gone.

I immediately called Scott to tell him the situation, but all of a sudden, they were out of reach. I went to their house and punched the doorbell a hundred times, but no one responded.

According to their neighbor, Scott and Adam left in a hurry, and two hours ago, the same time that Theo ran away from me. My heart raced nervously and I looked around the area.

Something was amiss, and it definitely had something to do with Theo. I was right to follow my guts. Something is going on with Scott and Adam. I walked back to my car in disappointment and cursed out loud when I realized that I don't have Theo's number.

I started the engine and prayed that my baby would not be thinking of doing something stupid. I hope he's safe and away from harm, because dammit! I can't think straight and sit still.

What Theo did was strange. My teasing was completely tame this time around. Usually, he would roll his eyes and give me an amused gaze, but today was different.

His reaction earlier was too fishy. It was only subtle, but his eyes flickered with worry. I'm not sure but it's as if he was asking for help.

Theo needs help. I need to find him. I want to help him.

I did not ask for the help of the authorities. There's something suspicious about Scott and Adam, and it's something big. I used my family's connection to scour the footage of the area where Theo ran from me.

Unfortunately, the CCTV in that area was damaged. Not only that, Theo's escape was clean. He left no trace behind. It's as if it was planned. According to the people I knew in the police force, it was the first time that the security camera in that area broke. The security devices in that area undergo monthly maintenance, so it was a puzzle when they got destroyed.

For five days, I searched for Theo high and low. I even asked the help of my friends from the underground to contact me if they ever find Theo but to no avail. I was so close to giving up. Even my family was getting worried, and Robbie was getting annoyed because of the meetings I ditched. But I can't let Theo go. He started to worm his way to my heart, and I would be a fool to let him go.

I was wallowing in self-pity and regrets for my reckless actions when I remembered Chris.

Chris has a brother who owns a security agency. I did not waste any second and asked for his help. I was willing to pay a hefty amount just so they can give me a lead.

I drove all the way to Stefan's Manor, Chris's brother, hoping that the agency can help me search for Theo. In less than three hours, Trevor Hathaway, the head of the intelligence unit of The Phantom, finally found a trace.

There was a sighting of a man having similar descriptions with Theo stepping out of a grocery. When Trevor handed me the picture, my knees buckled and I dropped to the floor, the photo of Theo on my trembling fingers.