Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Theo

Right after Scott and Adam tended to the cuts in my palms, they went downstairs to prepare for our dinner later. When the door to my room was closed, the deafening silence and the emptiness reverberated.

When they were finally out of my sight, I searched for the blind spot of the hidden camera and carefully reach for my sleeping pills under the pillow.

I need to sleep. I am so tired because of the nightmares. I laid down sideways while my right hand secretly  reached for the bottle under my pillow. I buried my face on the soft pillow and turned my back on the camera, then slipped two pills into my mouth.

I winced and swallowed the pill. Doing this without water is hard. I lay down in a comfortable position and waited for sleep to take over.

It was dark outside when I woke up. I glanced at my palms that was wrapped in a gauze and immediately ripped it off. Why would I want to lessen the pain? Pain is pain, whichever way you put it.

My mind feels numbed as I scan my room. A bitter chuckle slipped from my lips. They are really afraid that I will kill myself. There are still items in this room that I can use to take my own life, but I want my death to be swift and painless.

That was the reason I chose that recording company. The building was tall and near our place. It was not much trouble.

Axl's worried and angry face crossed my mind. Even if he was just afraid that his building would be a spot for paranormal activities, the concern in those raven orbs was palpable.

His eyes were so dark, as if he was pulling me into a dark and bottomless abyss. I was just overcome with emotions that tears fell.

However, I feel calm when he's around. I don't feel scared whenever his frantic face comes into mind. Why is that so? I need to know.

I won't be able to figure this out without seeing him. I think he's still at the recording company. It's just seven in the evening, and during this time, Scott is busy in his office with his online therapy sessions, while Adam is at the basement, for his daily workout routine.

Basically, no one will know if I go out. The coast is clear. I slipped on a black shirt that I got from my dresser, and a pair of black pants. I put on my white Converse and turned off my phone.

Sneaking out is pretty easy. I have memorized the floor plan of this house, and all of the camera's blind spots. I was able to smoothly snuck out and carefully closed the gate.

****
I was near Axl's recording company when someone grabbed me and dragged me to the bushes, the darkest area in the vicinity. It is during these times when I cursed my disability.

I can't call for help, and my weak body is not enough to push off the perverted and sex-crazed man on top of me. Not only that, he shoved a dirty towel in my mouth. No amount of tears or struggling can help me. I will not get out of this unscathed.

I hate my life. Everything is so fucked up. If I had died earlier, this would not happen.

Eventually, I stopped resisting. How can I, when all of my energy was drained from trying to get away from this wretched man?

I closed my eyes and the feeling of helplessness came in waves. It was so painful and frustrating. I was so close to giving up, but Axl's worried expression flashed again.

Why does he look at me like that? There's nothing I can do. I am tied up, and I can't call for help. I wanted to give up, but a part of me is afraid that I will make Axl sad. My heart constricts when I imagine him sad and in pain.

I don't even understand why I am considering his feelings. I just met him earlier. He's the one who foiled my plans. I was not able to die because of him. I should be mad at him, but I can't.

With newfound courage, I kneed the man's guts. He grimaced and slapped me so hard. It was painful, and not the kind that can give me relief. His eyes were unfocused and gripped my neck tightly. I was choking and about to lose my breath, as I scratched his hands that was gripping me.

He cursed and let me go, while I tried to breathe through my nose. It was hard and painful. I want to remove the towel but he will hurt me again if I did.

I lost all of the energy I had after he almost choked me to death. I don't know why but I'm scared. I wanted to die but not this way. I am so scared, that tears kept on falling. I have never felt this scared.

The feeling of not being able to be in control of your surroundings is horrifying. The restlessness, hopelessness, and helplessness are scarier than my nightmares.

When he unzipped his pants, I accepted that nothing could be done. I am alone, and no one can save me. I smiled bitterly and batches of tears escaped from my eyes.

Axl, though short, you brought out a part of me that I never thought would come back. You brought out the sassy and fierce Theo that died six months ago.

I looked up at the dark sky, seemingly mirroring my emotions right now. Not a star in view. Maybe, this is a sign that I should end my life. Being violated like this must be a sign that someone like me does not deserve to live after all.

I turned to my left and saw something shining. A knife. This man used it earlier to rip my shirt. I grabbed it without his knowledge and was about to slit my throat when he came. Again.

For the second time around, I was saved.

What do you want me to do then, God?

*****
When Axl closed the door to my room, I buried my face in my pillow and muffled my screams. That was so embarrassing! How can I cling to him like that?

Moreover, what right do I have to stop him from leaving?

It was just... I felt lonely. When I woke up to Scott crying while applying ointment to my bruises, I was instantly alarmed. The person I wanted and hoping to be beside me was gone.

Without a warning, I got up in a panic and went out of my room. I wanted to shout for his name but that's impossible.

When I saw him at the bottom of the stairs, I was so ecstatic that I opened my mouth to call him, and was struck by the glaring reality that I am mute.

For the very first time, I wished for an ability to speak.

I wished for a single chance to call for his name. To call for Axl's name. Just once. I wanted to have that one chance, but no matter how I wished to produce just a single sound, it was in vain.

And I was left disappointed again. Still, that disappointment faded when I saw the twinkle in his eyes. He was looking at me like I was the most precious thing he has ever seen.

No one looked at me like that. No one made me feel that I was precious enough. Scott and Adam were just stopping my suicide attempts because I am their responsibility.

My eyes burned from unshed tears and my throat constricted. Maybe, my emotions mixed and the ones being bottled inside exploded. All because of his soft gaze. All because of Axl.

I may have interpreting this based on what I wanted to believe, but I don't care. I may be creating assumptions in favor of my own convenience, but I don't care.

What was important at that moment was that someone I just met saved me twice, got angry for my sake, and almost killed someone because they hurt me.

It was enough for me. I ignored his warnings and ran to him, then wrapped my arms around him.

I was right. He was warm, so warm that it made me cry. Being in his arms is wonderful. I almost forgot that Axl is someone I barely know. Almost.

Soon, he will also leave me. He is just doing this out of pity. He's a good man, and someone like him is not suited to be by my side.

A good man like Axl does not suit a murderer like me.

TO BE CONTINUED