Chapter 17

Theo

My heartbeat stopped and my lungs deflated when I heard his confession. I stared at Axl in perplexity and slowly shook my head. Impossible. If you knew who I am, you won't be spouting such careless words. I gripped the pen that I was holding and started to scribble.

You're just confused. You're just caught up in your emotions and--

My mouth parted in surprise when Axl snatched the paper and ripped it in anger. I gulped hard when I saw his dark expression and his dark orbs even darker because of so much fury. His lips were pursed into a thin line and the veins in his neck and forehead became prominent as Axl tried his hardest not to scream at me.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. When he opened his eyes, his expression was a lot softer and my heart twisted painfully when all that's left in his raven-colored eyes was pain. So much pain.

How could I hurt such a good man? Here I am trying to push him away so as not to expose him to danger, but I am hurting him emotionally along the way. I am so confused.

"Theo, I don't know how I can make you understand what I'm feeling right now. I am hurt. Confused, no, but in pain, yes." I bit my lip to distract myself from the numbing pain in my chest. "What do you want me to do? Leave you? Do you want me to get out of your life just to prove what I feel for you?" It was just a whisper but it was filled with so much hurt.

Axl loosened his grip on me and I took that chance to escape from him. I stepped backward and created enough distance because I cannot take it anymore. I'm just hurting myself by hurting him.

Axl smiled bitterly and rubbed his face in frustration.

"First of all, you have no right to dictate what I feel. I own my feelings, and you don't have any license to tell me that I'm confused. Second, if you're thinking that I'm just playing some kind of game because I am hooked by the thrill of the chase, you are absolutely mistaken. I have a company to run, recordings to produce, and a life to live. I wouldn't drop everything just for a simple thrill-- just because I am challenged and wanted to boost my ego. I am more than that, Zeller."

Tears began to stream on my cheeks as I received the biggest blow ever.

He called me Zeller. Not Theo, nor baby, but Zeller.

His cold words and sharp tone were enough to send an alarm to my system. My chest tightened when I slowly realized that Axl would disappear from my life... the only thing good in my life.

Axl was the person who made me rethink and reexamine my choices. He made me realize that instead of escaping from my problems, I should face them head-on. In that short amount of time, Axl made me feel like a human being. He made me feel loved and happy.

Axl made me feel free, and not someone imprisoned and under surveillance. He was the beacon of light sent to me in my darkest shed. And now, he's leaving.

I blinked away my tears and even if I wanted to speak, I can't. Not now.

Even if I wanted to tell him how he captured my heart when he saved me from jumping off his building, I can't. Not now.

There are so many things I wanted to say, but I have to think and consider the consequences if I open my mouth. They will go after me and will figure out my weakness just to use them against me and get what they want.

Axl cleared his throat and smiled at me with so much sadness. "Finally, I just want you to know that I'm willing to do everything for you, even if it means that I have to leave you. Just imagining it is ripping my soul to shreds, T-Theo... but for you..." Axl's voice cracked and I had to restrain myself from wrapping him in my arms and apologize endlessly.