28. home

After a quick goodbye to Clarke, Raven and I managed to haul the generator back inside.

"Guys! A little help here?" Raven yelled as we made it to the bottom level of the lab, the generator still weighing heavy in our arms. 

Harper and Emori rushed out of the cockpit, coming to our aid. They grabbed onto it, taking it from our hands. 

"You three deal with the generator." Raven instructed. "Echo and I will take my suit."

"Where's Monty?" Harper demanded as her and Emori shuffled toward the rocket. 

I pulled my helmet off, breathing in the fresh air for a moment. "Monty had to take off his gloves." I explained, not wanting to keep anything from Harper. "He passed out, but Bellamy and Murphy are on their way to get him."

Her eyes widened as she almost dropped the machine. "I'm going back to him after this is tied down!" she announced. 

I pulled off my gloves, throwing them down as I went to help the girls. "Bellamy and Murphy will get him." I assured, but I too felt desperate knowing they were all out there. 

"They'll be fine." Raven snapped. "Everyone has a job to do." 

I winced, feeling the weight of the generator as we began to load it into the cockpit.

"ECHO!" Raven screamed, her eyes scanning the room. "Where the hell are you?"

No response came, causing Raven to let out a frustrated groan. "Aves, with me."

I gave the other two girls a quick look, ensuring they were okay before rushing to Raven. 

"Take this." she ordered, handing me part of her suit, the one needed for her space walk. 

I grabbed it, instantly rushing it into the ship where Emori and Harper were in the process of tying down the generator. 

With each trip in and out of the cockpit, I found my eyes travelling to the large countdown screen...time was running out. 

I tried to keep my mind occupied, but with each passing minute I noted the absence of the boys and Clarke.

Finally, with six minutes left on the countdown, three figures stumbled into the room. I felt myself instantly relax, but only slightly. 

"Avery, a little bit of help?" Bellamy pleaded, he and Murphy pulling a clearly pain-riddled Monty down the stairs.

"Thank God!" Harper breathed, rushing toward her boyfriend.

I did the same to my own, as did Emori. I wrapped my arms around Bellamy, quickly ensuring he was okay.

"Let me see your hands." Harper instructed, picking up Monty's gloved hands.

"No!" I ordered, pulling away from Bellamy. "Leave them on for now. We can deal with it when we're on the Ark."

"Avery's right." Raven agreed. "It's T-Minus 5 minutes and counting."

Bellamy pulled his helmet off, looking to me. "Clarke's not back yet?"

I shook my head, looking at the time. "She should be on her way."

"Everybody!" Raven yelled. "Refill your O2 tanks and load up! Remember, we'll have an hour each. Don't turn them on till I tell you, and after that, breathe easy."

My heart was practically beating out of my chest as we all scrambled to refill our tanks, no one saying a word due to the immeasurable tension in the room. 

"Where the hell's Echo?" Bellamy demanded, breaking the silence. 

I looked up at him, shaking my head. "No idea. We haven't seen her since we got back inside."