Part 16

*2 months later*

              "Will you stop faffing with your hair and hurry up?" Jay shouted from the kitchen while dangling his keys around.  "Coming!" Lily shouted from her room as she slid on her boots ready for work.  She took one look at herself in the mirror and smiled, it was good to be going back to work.  She grabbed her badge and her gun and met jay in the kitchen.  "About time..." jay said while rolling his eyes with a slight smile.  Lily scoffed and grabbed her jacket before the siblings made their way to his car.

"You ready? You could've had more time of you know..." jay sighed before they got out of his car. Lily laughed, "I'm good jay, plus you were killing me" she joked and nudged his arm as they walked into the station. "Look who it is" trudy said with a smile as lily walked passed them, "hey sarge" lily smiled along with jay. Trudy shot her a grateful smile, "welcome back" she said before letting the detectives go to work.

              Jay and lily walked into the bull pen with a smile, "hey guys" lily said which made everyone look up, even hank surfaced from his office.  "Lily! Welcome back" hailey said excitedly.  "Thanks" lily said while making her way over to her desk. Hank smiled at jay then looked at lily, "good to have you back, one thing though..." hank started. Lily looked at him and nodded, "you're on desk duty for a shift, just for today" hank finished up. Lily didn't like the idea of it but she was just happy to be back so she nodded and sat down at her desk. Jay didn't argue since he couldn't care less, she was safer that way. 

             The team cracked on with endless amounts of paper work, "gang violence, twelve victims dead and three suspects on the run" hank sighed and put some pictures on the board.  All of the victims were middle aged men and the three suspects were also men who looked slightly younger, "we've got a hit on one suspect, suit up" hank ordered to everyone but lily.

The team weren't gone for long, about an hour later they returned back to the district with an arrested suspect. "Guess where he was hiding..." Kevin said to lily. Lily scoffed and guessed randomly, "in the garbage?" She smiled. Kevin nodded, "ding ding ding" he confirmed her guess. The unit laughed and sat back down, they were soon interrupted by a young man about jays age who walked into the bullpen.

           "About time mouse!" Hank shouted not too seriously at the man.  Mouse laughed and sat down at his desk, jay had already explained who mouse was and what he did so she didn't need to question him. "Sarge we got a location on suspect number 2. 109th street" jay said after hanging up the phone.  "Alright suit up" hank said to the unit apart from mouse and lily.  Mouse worked on the technology side of the job so whenever they needed some hacking done, he was the guy.

            "So you must be the one and only third Halstead" mouse said as lily sat on his desk.  She laughed, "that's me, jays told me all about you" she laughed back.  Mouse smiled, "oh so he missed me a lot then?" He joked. Lily laughed before getting up to go re fill her mug, "he did" she said with a grin.  They didn't have any kind of sexual tension or some kind of connection but she knew they would get on perfectly find as just friends.

The unit re appeared with the second suspect arrested, "same hiding place?" Lily joked to Kevin. He scoffed and nodded, lily smiled and sat back down. It was roughly around 6pm and they had done as much paper work as they could so hank let them go. Lily was still living with jay at the moment since she was searching for a new apartment even though she wasn't having much luck. The unit decided to go to mollys since they had such a successful day at work, people from firehouse 51 and med all flooded and spread the joy. "Heyyyy, there she is" Hermann said from behind the bar. Lily smiled and walked over to him, "hey hermann, missed me much?" She said jokingly. Hermann laughed, "oh yeah, it's kept me up at night" he matched her energy. She smiled, "beer?" He offered her. She accepted and went to sit down with the unit again, she sat next to her partner al since he was like a father figure to them all especially lily. They chatted away all night.

"Hey, who's that over there? The one next to olinsky?" Blake gallo said to Ritter from the table in front of intelligence. Ritter scoffed and laughed, "who the brunette?" Ritter double checked. Gallo couldn't take his eyes off her, "yeah the brunette" he said with a smirk. Ritter nudged his arm, "that's lily halstead, and she's way out of your league dude" Ritter insulted him playfully. Gallo punched ritters arm taking slight offence but smiled after, the two must've been talking loudly and lily heard her name being said quietly.

Lily looked over to the firefighters sat opposite her table and smirked at their faces, they looked like children who had been caught sneaking candy before dinner. She immediately blushed at gallo who was staring at her and Ritter couldn't help but snicker. Jay had also noticed his sister blushing but he didn't know who at, "what's going on with you?" He said protectively. She snapped out of it and took a sip out of her beer to try and hide her rosy cheeks, "what? Oh uh nothing..." she said unconvincingly. Jay narrowed his eyes at her but she just looked down and smirked knowing gallo was still staring at her, "whatever you say, come on let's get home" he said while changing the subject. Lily nodded and got up, she didn't even know his name yet but she would soon find out.