chapter 33

Madison Marshall POV

I kneel on the grass going to tie my cleats only to have trouble actually tying them. My hand tremor is making it very difficult, so I just tuck in the laces. I don't want to concern anyone with a minor inconvenience. I run back from the sideline into the new drill of weaving through the poles.

"Madison!" I hear one of the assistant coaches yell. I look over and see him pointing at my boots. "You're going to trip so tie them up."

I look down and notice the laces untucked themselves. There goes my plan to stay under the radar. I give him a thumbs up and kneel and little away from the drill.

"Chrissy." I see her going to the back of the line as she just finished a round of the drill we were on.

She thankfully hears me and heads my way. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just having trouble tying my cleats." I say putting my hands out to explain why.

Her face scrunches but she kneels down and ties my cleats. "Have you been taking your meds?"

"Yeah, but the tremor returned yesterday out of nowhere and comes and goes every few hours," I whisper.

"I don't understand. How?" She asks, confused. "You're meds have been working, why now?"

"I would like to know that as well."

"I'll have Tobin call your doctor when we get back to the hotel." She pats my shoulder and gets up walking back to the line.

The rest of training goes by without much trouble. When we arrive back at the hotel, I shower and head to the conference room knowing it is usually empty when I go.

"So is this your go to spot to get away from everyone?" A voice catches me off guard.

"I guess it's ours now." I tell Kristie. "Appears we meet here yet again."

"Appears so." She grins and blushes.

"You're cute when your cheeks get all red." I smile and tell her which only makes her cheeks even redder.

"Stop, I can't control it."

"So, why do you need your space from everyone?" I sit on the ground against the wall and see her following me before taking a seat beside me.

"I just wanted to pause and take everything in. Things lately are just go, go go. It's nice to settle and think for a couple of minutes."

I turn my head and give a smile, "I get it. I think I may take your perspective and apply it to my own life."

She smiles back and starts picking at her laces, "I recommend it. So what brings you to wanting to be alone?"

"There's a whole lot." I chuckle nervously and shake my head. "Due to current circumstances, people close to me have been hovering and watching my every move scared to think that I will either disappear or get hurt."

"They wouldn't worry unless there is something to worry about though, right?"

"Yeah, they have a right to worry with the things going on right now, but it gets a little too much. I'm young, but I'm pretty mature and responsible. But yeah, just wanted some alone time to just be alone."

"I can go." Kristie says flustered and goes to stand up, but I grab her arm and pull her down.

"You're keeping me distracted and taking my mind off things, so you are fine here. My apologies, you aren't interrupting my alone time."

She nods and I see her believe my words. "So are you still in school?" She asks, changing the topic, which I don't mind.

"Yes, I graduate high school in a couple of weeks hopefully."

"Wow, high school. I remember those times." She reminisces.

"I can't wait to finish. Don't get me wrong, I love learning, but with soccer and always being gone and learning on my own is a lot. It got even more difficult after my injury."

Kristie looks at me with eyes that plead to continue for me to keep talking.

"I had to adapt to being not able to read and write because the words would just jumble up. I slowly started to get better reading and writing with support from tutors and friends. My teachers were also very lenient with assignments and made them suitable for my needs while also completing the curriculum"

"I am so happy you have such a good support system. From stories Sammy has told me, you've had one hell of a comeback. I bet it had to be draining and tough, so it's good to see you've made it through that rough patch. I remember my ACL injury stopped my life and I was terrified for my career. It changed me. I know it's not the same, but I feel for what you went through."

"It's crazy how things could change in a moment whether it's an injury or phone call or whatever."

"It really is---" Kristie says before being interrupted by her phone. "It's Rachel." She smiles before answering the facetime request.

"Hi, Rach!" Kristie lights up.

"Hi, beautiful. Did I catch you at a good time?"

"I was just talking to Madison." She turns the camera to face me and I awkwardly wave before introducing myself.

"Nice to meet the infamous Madison." Rachel smirks.

"Nice to meet you as well. I'll leave you guys to talk." I say getting up.

"I'll catch up with you after, Madi." Kristie promises and I nod. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It's short, but I hope you enjoyed it. 

If you want to see anything happen, please let me know. I don't have time to write so I am thinking of writing a few more chapters and completing the book since I don't want to keep it incomplete.  

-AK