chapter 36

Jessie Fleming POV

"Madison," I say, trying to wake up the girl sleeping next to me. It's about four in the morning and I was awoken by her talking in her sleep. "Mads wake up." I shove her gently. She gets quiet for a second before snuggling into my side in her sleep. I end up wrapping an arm around her protectively before comforting her by stroking my arm on hers.

                                                                                       ............

"Where are we going?" I ask Madison as we walk aimlessly, or though I thought it was aimless.

"Nowhere special. Just looking around." She says lying through her teeth but I don't question her further.

"Did you think about going to the upcoming camp or are you going to wait until there's news on your mom?" I ask, wondering where her head is at.

She shakes her head, "I don't know. I really don't know what I'm going to do." My heart cracks a little by her voice and can't imagine how lost she is feeling.

"There are only two options and one of them involves waiting without distractions and the second is playing a sport to distract you as you also wait. I know you probably don't want to talk about it, but a change of scenery might lessen the stress. You'll be back with Christen and Tobin. I'll be there with the team, but there's always free time if you want a Canadian to talk to." I wink playfully hoping it will put a smile on her face and I smile as it does.

"I'm going to talk to Cameron for her input, but I know she won't leave me here alone and I don't want to stop her from going. I'll honestly end up going, but I just feel so lost about everything. Like where the hell is she?" She goes to continue to talk but I end up physically running into someone.

"Excuse me." A tall skinny Hispanic man with tattoos, says. Instead of just walking away, he turns to Madi, "You've been here a lot recently, looking like you're scoping the place." I got the hint he didn't walk into us by accident.

"I don't know what you're talking about?" Madi says calmly.

"Don't act stupid, sweetheart." He matches her calm tone and smirks. "Who are you?"

"If you think I'm a cop or snitch, you have it wrong. I'm just on a walk."

"Mmmm." He hums. "You don't seem to be from around this area." He looks her up and down before doing the same thing to me. I just remain quiet as I let Madi carry this out the way she wants it. My hand goes to grab hers as I watch the man pull a pocket knife from his pocket. "No need to be scared."

"Listen, I told you. I'm just here walking, we'll get out your way." Madi says with slight panic in her voice.

"You need to get out of my way and never come back here" He takes a step closer to Madi. "Here's a little reminder if you ever forget." He says guiding the blade from her temple diagonally to the middle of her cheekbone, exposing her flesh. With that, he says goodbye and walks away.

I pull on the sleeve of my long-sleeve T-shirt and press it on her cheek immediately. "I'm sorry." She says as I see tears form in her eyes. "I didn't mean to put us in this situation."

"We'll talk after we take care of your face," I say a little disappointed as I realized she wanted to go for a walk to look for her mom in an area Cameron has told her repeatedly not to go to.

After we walk back in silence, Madi turns to me before going to open the door, "Can you not mention this to Cameron?"

"You're going to tell her everything." I shake my head. "Let's get you cleaned up in the meantime."

She looks at me pleading, "Jessie."

"No, Madi, she needs to know." I grab her shoulders trying to get through to her, "I am going to run to the drug store on the corner and get these makeshift band-aids that act in place of stitches. Looks pretty gnarly." I guide my hand to her cheek. "Get inside and wash it with soap and water. I'll be five minutes max."

"Fine," She pouts and heads into the house before I head off.

Madison Marshall POV

"It stings!" I flinch as Jessie takes lead on treating the cut on my face as I sit on the side of the kitchen sink with her between my legs.

"I know, but we have to make sure to clean it well, bubba."

"Bubba?" I whisper, the nickname catching me off guard and she chuckles.

"Sorry, it just slipped."

"It's okay, bubba," I smirk causing her to blush. The red in her cheeks make my own heat up.

"Hold still and let me put these band-aids on." She guides her hands to place each one across my cheek. I hold my breath not to stay still but because of how close Jessie's lips were next to mine. "All done."

I hop off the sink area and start taking out two mugs. "For your help, I'll make us a nice warm cup of hot chocolate."

"Make it three," Cameron says shutting the front door and laying her bags down. "You guys wouldn't believe how packed the stores were today! It was like there were sales going on."

I keep my face down and towards what I was doing, letting my hair down quickly. I hear her footsteps approaching knowing deep down it's useless trying to hide what happened. She hugs me from behind. "What did you and Jessie do today?"

I decide to rip the bandaid off and tell her, "Listen, I need you not to freak out and get mad. Please." I chuckle out nervously. She lets go and walks back as I feel her eyes on me.

I take a deep breath and turn around to face her. Gasping visibly, "Madi! What the?" She quickly runs her fingers under the cut. "Explain!"

I bite my tongue thinking about if I really want to tell her the truth and then hear Jessie clear her throat indicating it was not up for discussion.

"Um. Jessie and I went for a walk and I took her to the wrong side of town. I went searching for my mom and this man confronted us saying I've been around too much. He proceeded to warn me." I point to my face. "It was a mistake. I shouldn't have put myself or Jessie in that position. I'm just trying to have hope that I'll walk down that street and find my mom there."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

sorry if this was short and unwell written. i wanted to get something out there for you guys. it's going to be the last one for a long long while. honestly thinking about giving this story away for someone else to continue. i would love to see this story to the end and if someone is willing to write and take it over, by all means, message me. it's my second baby so i won't release it unless i know for sure it is going into good hands. 

much love, homies 

~AK