chapter 23

Madison Marshall POV

"Don't you have classes?" I question Jessie as she keeps me company in my hospital room while everyone else is at training.

"I do." She lets out a soft smile. "But I managed to email my professors saying I had an emergency, so they've been very helpful and were lenient with my due dates for assignments. I also have people taking notes and recording the lectures."

"You don't ha-a-ve to do that. You don't nee-e-ed to stay because of m-m-me." I lower my head in guilt knowing I pulled people from their own lives because I couldn't take care of myself. "I'm alright now.

"I told you before and I will tell you again. You don't need to pretend things are okay because you don't want others to worry about you. It's okay to be scared and to admit that you are scared. I will be here for you no matter how hard things get. You are my friend and friends stay through the bad and the good." Jessie grabs my hand and makes eye contact the entire time she speaks trying to see if the words were getting through my head and they do.

"I am scared. I'm so-o-o fu-ucking scared." I admit finally releasing my true emotions. "What if I can't play soccer this season? I-I can't pa-a-ay for my meds. I won'-t-t be-e able to buy f-o-od. How am I supposed to pass h-h-high sch-h-o-ol without read-d-ing?" I let out tears I've been holding back since waking up from the coma.

"I'm not going to sugar coat it. You are going to have to work so fucking hard. It's going to feel like you want to give up and you won't see the end of the tunnel, but sometimes you have to look back to see how far you've gone. It's been what five days since you've woken up? You are able to walk to the door and back with minimal help and you're stuttering is getting much better. Don't worry about money, I'm sure the team will figure something out. As for reading, I'll just read for you and you follow along or download an audiobook and follow the words." Jessie says getting up from her seat and seats on the edge of bed. She takes her hand and wipes the tears from my face.

"I don't wa-a-ant to rely on people. I don't kno-ow h-how" I sigh.

"Just let us help. If it feels like we are smothering you, just let us know because you know we only mean love."

Cameron Santiago POV

After five hours of training today with the team, we all head back to the hotel and shower. A group of us are heading to the hospital after an early dinner to see Madison before visiting hours end. Thank God Jessie is here because she is able to watch over Madi and keep her company while we train. It makes me feel less guilty leaving her.

A knock echoes throughout my room and I answer it as Alyssa is finishing up in the bathroom. I open it to reveal Tobin, Christen, and Kelley.

"Alyssa is almost done and then we can head out." I say and let them in.

"Has Jessie texted you about Madi today?" Tobin asks me as her and Christen sit on my bed and Kelley stands next to me.

I nod. "She's been doing okay. She had two seizures, but they were the partial complex seizures." I tell them knowing everyone has done their research on Madi's condition so they know about the different types of seizures. "She's also walked the most she has walked since the accident."

"She's a strong cookie." Alyssa says through the open bathroom door.

"I'm worried the team medical staff won't clear her because of her frequent seizures." I tell them and Kelley takes my hand.

"One step at a time. We will figure things out for her and find trials for seizures that may help her." Kelley says and everyone nods in agreement.

"You know soccer is everything for her. She has become independent because of her ability to play and provide for herself, but now her life flipped upside down. This shouldn't have gotten this bad. She should've gotten scans done." I say trying to let them understand.

"Yes, if she got the scans done, doctors would have caught it and it would have prevented everything but it didn't happen. We can't change how things played out and we can't keep thinking about the past." Press says getting up from her seat and grabs my shoulders. "We can't change the past, but we can be there for her now and make sure she gets the help she needs."

"I'm ready." Alyssa says tying her shoes. "I'll drive."

The hospital is a short drive away and soon we park in the visitor parking and get our visitor badges before heading to Madi's room. As we enter we see Jessie and Madi sleeping on the bed not looking very comfortable. Jessie has her arm around Madi as Madi is laying her head on Jessie's shoulder. One of Jessie's legs is hanging off the bed as well. We all stifle a laugh before we snap a few pictures.

"Send them to me." Jessie opens her eyes and whispers.

"Just did." I smile and we all take a seat around the two on the bed. "How long has she been sleeping for?"

"Over an hour, give or take. She was more emotionally exhausted than anything else today, but she had an emotional breakthrough." Jess says looking at Madi before looking back at us. "She understands that she is going to need help for a while, but we can't smother her. Sometimes she has to fall and get back up on her own."

"Yeah, that's something we will share with everyone and work on." Alyssa says.

"Did the doctor mention when they'll be releasing her?" Press asks Jessie.

"In a day or two. She needs to continue going to a physical therapist and neuropsychologist after she gets out until they say she's good. I don't know how long you guys are staying in Portland for, but it'll be easier to just stick with one of each instead of having her start therapy here and then going back to New Jersey. This way her therapists can see her progress from the beginning."

"We are here for another two weeks unless I take her back to New Jersey when she gets out and just stay with her." I mention thinking that Jessie is right about having only one therapist of each.

"Why don't you guys stay in Portland?" Tobin speaks up. "I have an extra room in my apartment and this way she's surrounded by familiar faces and not everything falls on your shoulders, Cam."

"I can manage her by myself, but it is honestly up to her." I point to Madi. "But you do know this could last weeks or months? I can ask Ash and Ali to stay with them, but they have Mason." I remember.

"It would be seriously okay. You are both more than welcome to stay as long as needed." Tobin says backing up her previous statement.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
it's a struggle out here ahaha laughing through the tears right now. don't even have the time to think about posting an already pre written chapter.
thanks for your patience and stay safe,
~AK