chapter 9

I am back home in New Jersey. My home is comfortably small. It's painted light yellow with the window shutters painted a navy blue color. There's two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room and bathroom. Mom is never home unless she needs something from me. I honestly don't even know where she is 99% of the time. I'm headed to work at Danny's Butchershop, the place I have been working at for almost five years now.

"There's our top butcher!" Danny the owner greets me as I enter through the back door.

"Hi, Uncle Danny!" He isn't really my uncle but he has become like family since I have been working here since I was a kid. "How's Catherine and Mario?"

"They are doing well. We watched your games on the television. You were amazing!" He says.

"Thank you. How's business doing?" I ask knowing a lot could change in a month.

"It's been demanding. I guess people are pulling out their barbecues with the weather warming up. It's good for the business. We are so glad to have you as an extra set of hands." He hugs me.

"I'm glad to be back."

I ended up working for about 10 hours the first day back. The rest of the week was no different. I wake up, go to work, come home, study, facetime Jessie to help me study, and then go to bed. I'm used to being alone. It's nothing new to me. Every now and then I go out with a few guys and girls from school to chill and play video games. Tonight is no different. I just hung up from a tutoring session with Jess and was getting ready for bed. It's a little past midnight when I hear a knock on my door. The knocking becomes more frantic as seconds pass by. I grab my bat and head to look out the window to see who it is. I put it down as a familiar face is at the door.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" I ask as I open the door. She appears to be disheveled wearing a big hoodie and sweats that are too big on her. 

"That's no way to greet your mother." She says back but smiles as she wraps her arms around me and I do the same. I hold the embrace for a while missing her hugs.

"Come inside." I invite her in but she shakes her head.

"I can't tonight, love. It's going to be a busy night but you promised me you'd give me something after you came back." Her eyes plead.

"How much?" I say a little disappointed.

"400 dollars." My eyes widen. That's the most she asked me for in one shot.

"Mom. That is a whole lot of money. Why so much this time?" I questioned her. "Do you owe people money?"

"I kind of took someone under my wing." She says pointing to a girl with a hoodie and booty shorts in the background.

"Mom, I can only support you-"

"Please, she's been with us for half a year and she isn't getting as much income as the rest of us. She is also close to going through withdrawals." She turns around and calls the girl over. "Kid, come over here and say hi to my daughter."

The girl comes over limping with her head down.

"Lift your head up, kid." My mom demands her. She listens and her eyes meet mine. I stand there shocked. The familiar features on her face. Those eyes.

"Cameron?" I stutter out in awe of who is in front of me. She looks as shocked to the idea of someone recognizing her.

"How do you know me?" Her voice rasps out.

"You are my life and soccer inspiration. You are the reason that pushed me to pursue my dreams which led me to be on the national team." I say as we stare at each other. It looks like she's about to bolt in seconds.

My mom ends up getting a phone call and excuses herself to the side leaving me and Cameron.

"Ali and Ashlyn miss you a lot. Hell, everyone misses you." I say remembering she left them.

"You can't tell them I am here or that you saw me." She says sharply.

"I won't. I promise." I lean against the door frame.

"I have to get going. It's a solo job so is it okay if Cameron spends the night with you, Madi?" My mom walks on back. "Can I also have the usual?"

"Yeah, I'll get it for you. Also, yeah I can set her up in your old room." I say going inside and getting cash for my mom. Once in hand, I give it to her and hug her goodbye.

"Listen, I need to ask you for another favor." She whispers in my ear as we hug. "I need you to help her the way you once helped me. She's just a lost kid."

"Mom, what if she doesn't want my help?" I question.

"She may not now but by the end of it she'll be thankful." My mom reassures me.

"Okay. I love you."

"I love you, Mads. Take care of her."

With that she leaves me with Cameron who I already find passed out on the couch. I take in my mom's words knowing what needs to be done. As Cameron sleeps, I go to my mom's room and set everything up and clean up the room. The door is already set up with locks from the first session of me trying to sober up my mom. I pick up Cameron and take her to the room. Things are about to get ugly.