chapter 24

Madison Marshall POV

I'm finally out of the hospital! They discharged me last night and I was picked up by Kelley, Cam, Ash, and Ali. Unfortunately Jessie had to go back to school after missing over a week of classes.

I am currently watching the team practice as I do some physical therapy exercises my therapist recommended. Most of them require me to sit and do them, but others require standing and walking. I'm improving slowly but surely but I have to rely on a cane for support as I can't fully support all of my weight for a long period of time. As I sat on the floor and stretched out after the last exercise, I look at Cameron and find her looking back at me. I give her a thumbs up and she shakes her head embarrassed being caught staring at me for the hundredth time since I was released from the hospital. As I watch her train. I can see how much she has improved since coming back to the field. I'm so proud of her. It gives me hope for myself to start soccer again.

"Fucking hell." I whisper as I feel a seizure about to come on.

Cameron Santiago POV

Me and practically the whole team have been keeping an eye on Madi since she's been released from the hospital and at practice it is no different. Madi has an eye on her from at least one teammate or staff member at all times. She's the kid of the team and we just want to look out for her. As I turn to look at her again, I notice Alyssa and Ashlyn with her. I look at her face and notice the familiar long gaze she holds when she's having an episode. I go to help out, but Ali grabs my arm pulling me back.

"They got it." Ali says calmly looking at me, but I can't pull my gaze away from Madison.

"But-" I go to argue but she cuts me off.

"We have gone over this. She's in good hands and she would want you focusing on your training. We can't all hover and help with every seizure. Right now Alyssa and Ash are there for this one and that's okay." She drags me back onto the line for more conditioning drills and I see everyone curious as to why I had a worried expression. They look around and notice Madi's seizure and they have pinched faces as well, but they know someone is already with her so they refocus making me realize I need to refocus and Ali is right.

Training continues and Alexis, the trainer, has brought a pillow outside so Madi can sleep after her episode knowing she usually feels exhausted and dizzy after one. As she sleeps, Ash and Alyssa leave to continue their training, but I can see them stealing glances at her making sure she is indeed alright. Madi sleeps the rest of the two hours of training and we don't wake her up knowing she needs the rest.

"I'll grab Madi, if you just want to grab her stuff." Alyssa says after we all finish up in the locker room and head to the bus. I nod and she shakes Madi gently. "Hi Mads. Just hop on my back, I'll carry you to the bus." Madi looks confused but does as she is told as Alyssa squats down so Madi doesn't jump and strain herself.

"I had a seizure?" She whispers.

"Yeah you did." Alyssa says as we get her onto her seat.

"That's the third one since la-aa-st night." Madi says with her voice full of exhaustion. "Fuck m-e-e."

When we get back to the hotel and everyone washes up we all head to lunch. I take my usual seat next to Kelley on a table with Ash, Ali, Tobin, Christen, and now Madi as we all vowed to keep her in our sights.

"How's Mason been?" I ask Krashlyn.

"Growing up way too fast. My parents offered to watch him for this camp. He's been good." Ali says.

"He would love to meet you soon. We mention you to him a lot." Ash says.

"I would love to see him again soon." I smile remembering the last time I saw him.

"Here's a picture of him my mom sent." Ali slides me her phone and Mason is in the backyard sitting with Logan.

"He's gotten so big." I gasp.

"Why don't you come to Florida with us for a while?" Ash suggested.

"I will soon." I promise.

"So, have you guys thought about staying in Portland with us?" Tobin brings up the subject me and Madi have contemplated since the offer was on the table.

"Wait what?" Ash asks.

"Tobin and Christen offered their home to Madi and I so Madi can start her therapy here while we are at camp so she wouldn't need to switch therapists back in Jersey or leave camp early since we are here already." I explain hoping she wouldn't be upset that I didn't tell her.

"Oh." Is all that leaves her mouth.

I feel Kelley's hand land on my thigh trying to comfort me and everyone on the table can feel some sort of tension after the news was out. "We would be very grateful to be welcomed into your home." I turn to face Heath and Press as smiles come onto their faces. We continue to eat as awkward silence fills the table until Madi speaks up.

"May you pass the rice?" Madi says looking at Kelley as I sit between them.

"What?" Kelley replies as she is confused.

"The r-i-ice. May you pa-s-s it over?" Madi points to a salt shaker.

Kelley picks it up. "This?" She questions her as everyone on the table is fully engaged in what is happening. "Madi, this is salt."

"That's what I said-d-d." She says frustrated.

"No, you called it rice." Kelley says, causing Madi to look at everyone to see if she was lying.

"I'm sorry." She lowers her head in embarrassment.

"No, no it's fine. Don't be embarrassed, it happens. Here." Kelley says passing it over not wanting to upset Madi.

"Thanks." She pours the salt on her potatoes. When she finishes I see her go to cut her steak but it seems like she's confused on how to start and I can see her glance at me trying to follow how I cut mine. I slow my movements as she observes and manages to figure it out. I notice the tremble in her hands giving her the most trouble cutting up the meat.

"Let me help you." I whisper over to her.

"I got it." She says back, but obviously doesn't have it. Another few seconds go by and I offer again. "Stop!" She snaps slamming the utensils on the table catching everyone's eyes including surrounding tables, but I instantly see guilt cover her face. "I'm sorry."

"No. It's my fault I shouldn't have pushed." I admit.

"I'm just going to go back to my room to lay down." Madi says getting up not having eaten anything.

"Just eat something and we'll go up together." I plead knowing how stubborn she is, but she grabs her cane and heads out of the room. I go up to follow her, but Abby from the table over stops me saying she'll watch her until I finish eating.

"She just needs some time to get used to others helping her, babe." Kelley tells me.

"She can't do shit by herself and I can't even begin to imagine how she feels." Ash says, "Don't take it personally."

"I know, but it hurts watching her struggle." I sigh.
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
still very rough out here. hope everyone is hanging in there. this to shall pass. also kinda upset they took away the news feed on the app since that's where i find new stories other people are reading but 🤷🏻‍♀️.  need anything, you know where to find me.
-AK