chapter 11

I managed to talk Uncle Danny into allowing Cameron to help out in the back with me. She has come so far these past few weeks. We have gotten so close spending so much time together. Since I didn't trust leaving her alone yet, knowing how temptful the outside world can be, I have taken her everywhere I went. She was grateful for that too because it also allowed her to build a similar routine as me. Routines keep our life in order and focus on one task before moving to the next.

Right now we are chilling on the couch watching some TV before bed. I have my head on her lap as we laugh at some stupid reality show.

"This shit is trash, but I don't understand why I'm addicted to it." Cameron says to me.

"That's all reality TV." I chuckle. "Now you know why it's a guilty pleasure of mine."

"Madi?"

"Yeah Cam?"

"What am I going to do when you have to leave for camp?" I sit up to her question knowing it is a conversation we need to have.

"There are many ways we can play this out." I say having thought of this every night since she came into this house. "You come with me or you stay here. If you come with me, people will know you are back and you'll have to see the team. If you stay here you run the risk of being tempted and falling into bad habits. That is unless you feel confident enough to stick to your routine." I explain my process of thinking to her.

"I don't know if I can be trusted alone." She looks down and plays with her thumbs.

"Do you think if you come with me to camp, seeing everyone will cause you to fall back into bad habits as well?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"I think it will be very difficult and it will bring emotions and memories of everything from my past. You think if I tell Vlatko I am back, he'll offer me my old spot back? I think it'll be good if I go with you and play too so it will keep me distracted."

"If you think you are ready, I will be with you every step of the way." I grab her hand and give it a slight reassuring squeeze. "How about we sleep on it? You don't need to make a decision right away."

"I don't tell you this enough but I love you. I appreciate you. You know exactly what I need all the time and give me it without hesitation or even words sometimes. You have done so much for me. You allowed me a chance to restart again but with a stable foundation. I couldn't have gotten this far without you." She squeezes my hands this time and pulls me into a hug. We have become sisters through this short journey. She looks out for me and I do the same for her.

Cameron Santiago POV

This morning, Madi and I called Vlatko and I told him everything. I explained to him about me disappearing, relapsing, living on the streets, and sobering up with the help of Madison. He was happy to hear I was okay and was slightly disappointed Madison lied to him about her being sick but he got over it. Camp starts in a couple of days and he allowed me to come and practice with the team. He mentioned that I most likely am not going to play in any matches anytime soon but I was okay with that. As long as I am with Madison and have my mind occupied, I will be okay. I am super nervous to see everyone again and scared. I am super scared. I push the thought to the back of my mind reminding myself I have a few days to prepare myself.

............

"You ready?" I get up after tying my running shoes and look over to Madi who is in running gear as well. We decided it was best for me to start running again and build my endurance back up to ease back into soccer.

"Let's do it. Four miles. Two miles there and two miles back and we will see how you are doing." She says locking up the door. "Try to keep up with my pace."