chapter 25

Madison Marshall POV

Tonight's the last night of camp. I decided to chill with the rookies as I am one myself and the older teammates did their own thing. We were out bowling and just having fun.

"Yo Mal, Madi is handicapped and she is still beating your ass!" Emily shouts over as it is Mal's turn to bowl. We all laugh as Emily's comment is very true. Mal is in the single digits as we enter the last frame to bowl.

"Shut up and let me concentrate," Mal says with seriousness. We see her focus and take a deep breath as she sets herself up. As she takes her steps forward and releases her ball towards the pins she stands still as it goes straight. We all hold our breaths and break out into laughter as it goes straight to the gutter.

"You are never going to be on my team again," Lindsey says as her competitor side is in full gear.

"Bowling is just not my thing!" Mal whines and we laugh as they bicker about losing.

"Come on losers, you owe us candy." Rose said as Emily and I nod eagerly.

"We only lost because of one player." Sam groans hating she lost as well. "What do you guys want?"

"Hersey, Swedish Fish, Sour Patch kids, Reeses, Twizzlers, and Ring Pops!" Emily says reading off the list we made earlier in case we won.

We end up picking up the candy on our way back to the hotel where we are supposed to gather to watch a movie and bond one last time for this camp. We dress up in sweats and sweatshirts and make our way to the big conference room that has mattresses and blankets set up for us. I sit between Abby and Alyssa as Cam and Kelley sit in front of us already cuddled and comfortable. Emily and Lindsey are next to Abby and the rest of the rookies are behind me while the veterans sit closer to the screen. We end up watching "White Chicks," a classic. We all laugh together and comment as scenes go on. Eventually, the movie ends and credits play as some players are sleeping and others talking, but nobody has the energy to actually get up.

I notice Cameron's phone keeps lighting up and has been since the movie started. She leaves it alone by her side and keeps cuddling with Kelley. I squint and try to look at who it is but it is hopeless as I forget I can't read.

"You good?" Abby asks as she sees me squinting.

"Yeah, can you do me a favor and see if that number ends in 7117?" I point to the phone. From her spot, Abby just angles herself up more before she turns to me and nods.

I throw my pillow at the couple in front of me. "Why is she-e-e still contacting you?!"

"Madi..." Cam turns and it feels like deja vu.

"No, I fucking told-d-d you to--o end it!" My voice raises.

"I'm trying to help you!" Cameron's tone matches mine. "You don't need another thing to worry about!"

"I can-n-n take care of myself-f-f!" I stand up and she does as well.

"Oh yeah? And how did that end up working out for you?" Cam snaps back. People around slowly get up not knowing how to handle us fighting as we rarely did.

"Cam-" Kelley says trying to calm her down.

"You ended up in a fucking coma may I remind you!" Cam shouts.

"I don't ne-e-ed your-r help, Cameron." As I get closer to her.

Alyssa puts out her arm to block me from getting any closer. "Hey, Madison, just leave it alone, she is just trying to help you."

"Fuck off." I shove Alyssa's arm off of me which makes me a little unbalanced which didn't go unnoticed by the people in the room.

"You are getting yourself worked up, Madi. Take a deep breath and walk away." Alyssa speaks up again.

"NO. Not until Cameron g-e-ets it in her head that my p-p-personal life is non-ne of her business."

"I am trying to help you!" Cameron gets closer as she is now held back by both Kelley and Ashlyn. "What don't you fucking get?"

"I don't want your help! I am ti-i-ired of the constant hovering-g and g-glances and the staring. I am tired of you trying to protect me from my own problems!" I admit. "It's my fucked up life and I don't want you in it!"

I watch as Cameron goes to say something but shuts up and her expression completely changes to one of defeat. "If that's what you really want then I am done." She speaks calmly. "I am done trying to help you. I am done trying to make your life easier."

"Cameron..." Ali sighs hoping to stop her.

"No, if that's what Madi wants, I'll grant her wish." Cam looks over to me. "I won't follow you to Tobin's house. I won't badger you or constantly ask if you are okay. I'll leave with Ash and Ali to Florida tomorrow. I am done."

With that, she simply walks away with Kelley right behind her. Ash and Ali stay trying to fix the damage but it's too late. And the rest of the team disperse except a few.

"Just give her time to cool down and think," Ashlyn tells me. "I'm sure she'll feel different in a few hours and still head over with you to Tobin's."

I shake my head. "I'm just going to head back to New Jersey."

Christen comes from the back of me to stand in front so I am facing her, "No, me and Tobin will watch over you even if Cameron doesn't want to be around."

"You guy-s-s didn't sign up to-to take care of me. You and everyone else shouldn't deal with it except me."

Christen proceeds to put her arm around me and embrace me in a hug. "No we didn't but that doesn't mean we don't want to help you out of the goodness of our heart."

I go to argue but Ashlyn has other plans.

"Madi, if you refuse to stay with a member of the team I am going to call DCFS," Ashlyn speaks up. "You are a 17-year-old epileptic kid suffering from TBI symptoms. I am not letting you go back home on your own."

I push out of Christen's embrace and challenge Ashlyn. "Good threat, but I know in the end you wouldn't. I would just end up living in a foster or gr-roup home until I age out of the system in a couple of months. Who knows maybe the foster parents will treat me like shit and beat my symptoms out of me. You are right Ash, call them." I say knowing she won't. "Call them, I dare you." I say tossing my phone over to her and walking away. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

hope you all are well. finally have a minute to post another chapter ahaha. i miss you all, how is everyone?  do any of you have anything you want to see play out in the story? I just feel like my writing is not as good as it can be and used to be. it's my last semester at uni and it is kicking my ass, so i'm sorry in advance for this chapter and future chapters. again let me know how you've been and ideas of what you want to be included.

much love and respect,

~AK