chapter 39

Madison Marshall POV

"Speaking of, Madi, you've played tremendously well today. How did you manage to push away the emotional news of your mom's murder for today's game." Fuck. The reporters start howling with the piece of new information. How did they even find out? My leg begins shaking as anxiety of the news seeps into my body as I've been denying it all day.

I feel a hand on my knee, before Christen speaks up, "We prefer not to comment on the subject."

I see our head media publicist proceed to tell the reporters no more questions.

Christen turns to whisper in my ear not wanting to make a scene. "Let's go, okay? I got you." She gently guides me until we reach the tunnel of the locker room, which is empty except for security. She places my back against the wall before gently guiding my face.

"Is it true?" She asks and all I can do is nod. "Oh Madi, I'm so sorry." She says pulling me into a hug. Tears start flowing, but I do my best not to break down. I tell myself to get it together, not wanting to break down here. "Does anyone know?" I shake my head.

"I found out this morning," I whisper.

"Let's head to the bus. I'll tell Tobin to grab our belongings." She grabs my hand as we walk out of the stadium.

Cameron Santiago POV

"I don't know, Cameron. Christen just texted saying to grab her and Madi's things." Tobin tells me as I question why they went straight to the bus instead of grabbing their things in the locker room.

"Okay, we'll have answers when we see them," I say quickening my pace as I zip up my backpack before packing Madison's bag as Tobin packs Christen's.

As we get to the bus, there are a few players already on. My eyes scan through the seats where I find Madi in Christen's arms zoned out both with red-stained eyes. "Did something happen during your post-game media?" I ask and they both nod.

Christen looks around as more players get on, "Not now. We'll talk when we get back." My concern only grows. I take a seat across from them as Tobin sits in front of them. This causes people's usual seating to get messed up but they don't question it as they visibly see both of them distressed. I decide to try to give them space so I scroll through my phone. It isn't until I go on Twitter where I see a lot going on. Fans are outraged, bashing the reporters. My mind thinks they found out Madi's mom is missing. I quickly find the video all the tweets are referring to. I put my headphones in and listen to it. It wasn't until the last bit where things took a drastic turn. No no-no. I feel myself getting worked up and filled with anger.

"It's true, isn't it? And she knew?" I say quietly to Christen showing her what I was looking at. She nods. Tobin questions what I was talking about and I pass my phone over to her. "How did they even get information like that?" I raise my voice a bit making people look at us trying to figure out what's going on.

Tobin tries to tell me to stay calm, but that just infuriates me more.

"They had no right! He should be fired. He shouldn't be allowed in on media day anymore. This isn't right!" I get agitated.

"He was just doing his job," Madi speaks up, lifting her head from Christen's shoulder to look at me. "The damage is already done."

My eyes soften to her voice that sounds so tired and drained. "I'm so so sorry, Mads," I say reaching over to rub her arm.

"Why don't you switch with me." Christen states and I nod as we switch outside seats as I quickly embrace Madison.

................

"We think she's still in shock from the news. She's cried a couple of times here and there but she's trying to hold it all in." I explain to Jessie outside of my hotel room. "We've been trying to get her to talk about it, but she refuses to completely accept what's happened. She won't even sleep, afraid she'll dream of her mother."

"We just have to be there for her when she's ready to accept it. It has to be a shock especially after weeks of no information to all of a sudden finding this news," Jessie sighs. "We'll help her through it. How are you holding up?"

I give her a questioning look, "Me?"

"Uh, yeah. You knew her too. It has to have had an effect on you. You don't need to talk about it with me but I just want to check-in." Wow, I'm surprised she remembered my history with Madi's mom. It's so kind of her to acknowledge my emotions and thoughts.

"It's upsetting. I think I experienced so much death in my life that I know I will get through this but this is new to Madi. I just want to help her process her emotions and validate her feelings."

Unexpectedly, Jessie embraces me in a hug.

"I know you've been through a lot and what you and Madi have is special. I really admire you and your strength. If you need anything, I know we aren't close, but don't hesitate to reach out."

"I won't kiddo." I smile and break our hug. "Let's go see, Mads," I say opening the hotel door.

Madi is in the same position I left her in when I went to pick up Jessie. She's lying between Christen's legs with her head on Christen's stomach. She looks exhausted. Tobin is seated next to Christen on the bed. They all turn to face me as I walk in.

"Hi, bubba," Jessie says making herself present walking up to Madi. Christen adjusts as she signals Jessie to sit on the bed as she and Tobin move to the next bed. Madi immediately goes into her arms as fresh tears stream down her face once again. "I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'm here for you." Jess speaks before placing a soft kiss on Madi's hairline holding her close.

"Mads, I know you don't want to, but you need to try to sleep a little bit." Tobin looks softly at the girl. "We'll all be here the entire time. I promise."

"She's right," Jess says. "Close your eyes. I got you."

Madi hesitantly looks around before giving in and closing her eyes. It takes less than five minutes before Jessie announces she's asleep. We watch her relieved as she is finally getting the rest her body needs.

"We all should get some sleep while we can. You guys can sleep on my bed." I tell Tobin and Christen. "I'll get the couch." I get up. "Jessie, do you need anything?" I ask knowing she's trying her best not to adjust much, not wanting to wake up the girl in her arms.

"I'm okay, but if there's an extra pillow that would be perfect."

"I'm gonna call room service anyway for extra sheets and blankets so I'll ask for more pillows." She thanks me.