Chapter 6 -Surprises

Saryah finally was able to put the office behind her. She had to go replace her phone, or see if this one was reparable, which she doubted. Very glad she’d put insurance on her phone, she parked and went into the store.

The line was long, but she didn’t mind waiting. This store was hi-tech, with a waiting system that made one able to browse the store without having to stand in a line for an hour. She went to play with the new phones, deciding which to get. She went over to the tablets afterward and toyed with those, too. It was on the Christmas list she never gave to anyone. Saryah decided she might just buy one for herself in the near future. She loved reading and always could use the apps for work when she went to homes. It would be a great help at work and a joy to have at home.

“OH!” She yelped as someone bumped into her, hard. “Hey, watch where you’re go...” She froze. Of all the people in all the places...

“Hi, Miss Williams. Odd meeting you here.”

“Sergeant Campbell. How was the rest of your day?”

“Boring. Look, I’m sorry...”

“For what? Telling me what you felt or treating me like I was a dog? Either way I see it, you were at least honest.”

“Well, excuse the mess outta me for trying to be nice. I was sincere. Never mind.” He walked to the other side of the store as the store clerk called her name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour and a half later, she had a new phone, with all the back-ups and the same number. Ben Campbell and his rude manners forgotten, she headed home to eat and finish some paperwork that seemed endless as of late.

The chimes on her phone didn’t stop for a few minutes.

“Sonya, how many texts did you send? And what is going on?”

The first text read:

Guess who’s stationed at Ft. Gordon?

Saryah figured that one out. The second read:

Mike and I wanna come for Thanksgiving... you good with that?

Saryah sent a text back:

Phone took a bath in the sink at work. I had to wait until I was done to get a new phone. I know who’s stationed at Gordon. He’s a rude jerk. He doesn’t even try to be nice. Sure you can come. Is Mamma able to come?

Sonya’s message back read:

She wants to. I’ll see if she is up to it and get back with you.

She made her way into the kitchen, looking for something easy to cook. She wasn’t in the mood after the day’s events to fuss with a large meal. She finally took the easiest possible course, and ordered Chinese.

She took a fast shower, changed into her favorite sweats and a t-shirt, because it wouldn’t be cold enough in Georgia for a sweatshirt until mid-January, and opened her day’s files she needed to add notes to.

The doorbell rang thirty minutes later, and the delivery man handed her the most heavenly smell of the day. She thanked him and took her meal inside.

“So much for healthy eating, Saryah.” She dug into the noodles and took a big bite of an egg roll.

Her phone chimed, and she looked at it. She didn’t recognize the number. She answered it against her better judgment. She swallowed her food too quickly before answering.

“Hello.”

“Is this Saryah?” The voice inquired.

“Yes.”