Chapter 3 - A Hero's Welcome

• Dedicated to To our Nation's Veterans. We appreciate your service and sacrifice. God bless yo

Ben Campbell finally was able to walk. It had been a long haul. Almost a year had passed, to be exact, of learning to use this God-forsaken artificial limb, though he’d take it over the crutches any day of the week. He would never take mobility for granted again.

He was ready to see his folks. He missed his little sister, Alison, like crazy, and wished the anticipation of this reunion could be a little less stressful. He didn’t know how his parents would take him not being whole anymore. It was a hard hurdle to jump, to put it in track terms. He loved running. He’d vowed to himself, a few days after the amputation, that he would run a marathon again. He’d run many, and running was his way of coping. Now the very thing that brought him the most peace and joy had been taken away from him, even if it was a temporary setback. He told himself that very thing every day.

“This is just a temporary setback. I will get through it. I will be stronger, better, more capable than I was before.” He said it aloud, to bolster his spirits as he waited for the airplane to finish landing procedures. He was ready to get back to his parents’ hometown.

They’d moved a bit growing up. His dad had been a contractor for the military, which meant they went where he was needed. His dad had done overseas work as well as in the U.S. They’d moved to Paxton after his dad retired.

The choice to join the military had been a no-brainer for Ben. He was proud to serve, and when given the choice, he had chosen the hard road of multiple therapies and red tape that accompanied the decision to stay active.

He’d fought and fought hard to prove himself. He was going back to an active unit after leave. He’d proven himself fit for duty. Now he had to prove everything to everyone all over again. As far as the physical training, he had a waiver for running for a good while longer, but he’d have to show he could still do push-ups, sit-ups, and swim, bike, or walk as alternatives to running. Swimming he liked enough to perfect his speed and strength, and many a paraplegic and amputee had won swimming events. He’d competed in several endurance swims and done fairly well. Confidence wasn’t the issue: other people would be.

“Ladies and Gentlemen: thank you for flying with us today. Please return to your seats, fasten your seatbelts, place your chairs in an upright position, and prepare to land. Welcome to Jacksonville.” The captain’s voice had a slight drawl to it, which made Ben feel even more at home. He’d be sure to shake the man’s hand before de-planing today.

“One more thing, ladies and gentlemen; it has come to my attention that we have a hero on board. Please join me in giving a welcome home round of applause to Staff Sergeant Benjamin Campbell, who is returning from combat today.” Ben ducked his head, fighting the tears. His dad had told him stories about the veterans of previous wars, and their homecoming debacle. This was humbling. Two hundred people were applauding him. The sound was like thunder in his ears, and yet so positively overwhelming at the same time.

“Thank you! I appreciate it.” He said to those around him who’d figured out it was him they were honoring. Just as the applause died down, the plane began its approach to Jacksonville International.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A large group from Paxton went in a caravan to the airport to welcome Ben home. He knew about the party, but the greeting at the terminal would be a surprise.

Maura chose to ride with the Campbell’s on the way to the airport, chatting with Paula the whole way. Mike drove Sonya so that Maura would have a place to ride on the way home. His best friend was coming home. Ben didn’t know about Sonya and him. He’d be pleasantly surprised.

They made special arrangements with the airport to get into the actual terminal for Ben’s welcome home surprise. Everyone there had to have I.D. and had to be screened. No one was allowed to bring anything in but a cell phone or camera, and signs, of course.