Chapter 21 - Feels like Forever

The poor teddy bear was squished in her arms, still wet from her tears. She was glad he left on a Thursday. She’d taken those two days off, and had a weekend as well to “recuperate” from his departure. Lunch with the ladies had been fun. She laughed more than she would have if she’d gone home alone to sulk. Sonya and Mike had come over on Friday night with dinner and a movie. She tried hard to keep her chin up. She stayed busy between texts, phone calls, and visits from the family; even a talk with Paula seemed to help.

On Saturday, she decided to go for the first run she’d had in a while. She knew to watch more carefully since the accident back in November. The thought brought her back to the dog tags and the date inscribed on them. Tears sprang afresh in her eyes, and she had to get moving to halt them. She started out on her regular run, but ran farther this time. When she realized how far she’d gone, Saryah turned around and headed back home.

Breathlessly, she unlocked the door in time to hear her cell phone ringing like crazy. She ran for it, catching it just before it hung up.

“HELLO?” she shouted, but not on purpose.

“Saryah, it’s me!”

“BEN!” She shouted again.

“Where were you? I tried to call four times in the last hour.”

“I was out on a run. Sorry I missed you! How are you?”

“Good, I guess. I don’t have long. I just wanted to let you know we landed safely.”

“That’s a good thing, right?”

“Sure. I mean, the plane could’ve been shot down or something.”

“Ben, don’t tease like that. I miss you. I wish I could kiss you. A lot.”

“Me too, baby. Me too. Stay strong. I’ll call you again when I can. Leave your video chat on when you go to bed. We’re about 13 hours ahead, so your days are my nights, and vice versa. I’ll try not to wake you up too many nights in a row.”

“It’s okay if you do. I love you. It’s good to hear your voice.”

“I love you too, baby. Talk to ya soon!”

The call clicked off leaving Saryah with conflicting emotions: Elation that he called, and sadness that the call ended. The emptiness was different than she’d ever experienced before. When a person ended a relationship other feelings accompanied it, but this was a new experience. She’d seen the “Half my Heart is in Iraq” stickers, but now she felt it on a new level.

To ease her sorrow, she took out a bridal magazine. There was much to do, more to plan, and her happy ending waiting for her at the end of this torturous separation. She decided to look at the list of things suggested for the wedding, as she was a list-maker by nature.

She grabbed a pen, pulled the pages out of the book, and started checking things off. About halfway down the first column, she stopped, already weary of it. She ordered pizza online and showered while she waited on it. If the six months continued to drag like these first few days, she’d be a wreck. The doorbell rang as Saryah finished pulling her shirt over her head.

“Mike! Sonya? What are you two doing back?”

“We can leave if you’d rather wallow in your self-pity alone.” Mike retorted.

“No, come in. I’m glad to have a distraction. I thought you were my pizza.” She chuckled.

“MMM! Pizza! Maybe I married the wrong sister?” Mike’s tease earned a smack on the shoulder, and not a soft one either.