Chapter 22 - Turning Point

A/N: Troy Russell is an actual person. He happens to be a brother in our church who used to be Active Duty also! He's a great man of God. I approached him a few months ago and asked if I could use his name in one of my stories. When I came to this chapter, I realized where he needed to be! Just thought I'd let y'all know! Thanks, Brother Russell! God bless you!

#####

Two weeks passed and she still hadn’t heard from Ben. They’d even blocked e-mails. She felt like she lived in the Dark Ages. The nights passed in worry and fear, tears and aggravation. The days passed in a flurry of work and activities.

Her imagination took her to the dessert, to those brown eyes in DCU’s. The broad shoulders holding his weapon were the same ones she missed putting her head on. And the kisses he gave? They burned her into her deepest places, shaping her dreams and reminding her body how much it missed having him around.

A knock sounded on the door, shaking her out of her daydream. She hesitated answering it just because she wasn’t expecting anyone. The knock became more insistent the longer she waited. She finally opened the door.

“Paula. Alison. Mom? What are y’all doin’ here?”

“We know you haven’t heard from Ben lately, hon, and we hadn’t heard from you since that text you sent me when he was first on blackout. We got worried.” Paula said, hugging her and walking in with a few bags in her arms.

“What? What’s all this?”

“Groceries, dear. We don’t expect you to let us stay for a while without bringing food.” Paula kissed her cheek and walked into the kitchen, with Alison following, to put the groceries away.

“Mom? What’s going on?”

“Like Paula said, we were worried about you.”

“I have a phone. You have phones. You could’ve called, e-mailed, sent a text, smoke signals, something. But, since you’re here, I’m gonna hug you.”

Her mom let out a “great to hug you” type grunt. “Besides, we do have a wedding to plan, and it will be so much easier with everyone in one city.”

Saryah smiled, hugged her mom one more time, and went to get her list and books. She’d been doing that much all along. There were a few things she wanted Ben’s opinion on, considering it was their wedding, not just hers.

“Here, Mom. Here’s the list! I told Sonya that eloping is a very real option.”

Maura laughed, but shook her head. “No. You’re getting married the right way. Trust me, you’ll be happier.” Paula nodded; an affirmation that she felt the same way.

“I know. The cost is the only reason eloping sounds good. Although, Ben did say he wanted to run to the courthouse in Paxton on Christmas Eve.” She giggled at the memory.

“Did he now? Good thing I didn’t get wind of it! I would’ve given him a good smack on the back of the head for that!” Alison chimed in. Saryah smiled at the thought of the petite girl trying to reach the back of her brother’s head. Alison looked small and harmless, but was full of spunk.

Paula spoke up. “How do ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, and a chef salad sound for dinner?”

“Perfect and thanks. Is this one of Ben’s favorites? He already knows I can’t cook!” Saryah guffawed while starting tea to boil.

“Ben’s favorite food is food.” All three women burst out in hysterics when Alison said that. “I think if you fix a salad with nothing else, he might turn it down. But, knowing him he’d just make more food!” Turning to Paula, Alison, who never had a problem sharing her thoughts, said:  “We need to teach her how to cook.”