Chapter 11 - Between Friends

The next few days went by in a blur. Saryah felt totally helpless. She slept most of the day, only getting up for meals so she wouldn’t be sick on the pain meds, and went back to bed. She wondered why a broken foot was causing her such crazy issues. Most people she knew with broken bones received over-the-counter medications. Maybe she just had good luck with the doctor. 

Her hardest challenge was calling her boss. Understanding though he was, he had a difficulty with a client being so close to her. The problem would be solved when she went back to work. She suggested finding another social worker for the case. 

“Maybe Tom? Tom’s great with the guys. And, if he has one he needs me to take, we could do it that way so no one has more than anyone else.”

“The problem is, Saryah, that we’re all overwhelmed.” John Thomas, her boss, said. “And, no matter what, you’re fraternizing with a client. That’s a huge “no-no” in the office.”

“I know, but it all sort of happened by coincidence. He wasn’t supposed to be at the movies, and when I got hurt, he came to the hospital and stayed with me, and even called my family for me. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you of our acquaintance from the get go.” 

She stood to look in the mirror while listening to her boss drone on and on about how she was breaking protocol. She didn’t care. Being friends with Ben Campbell wasn’t the same as being romantic with Ben Campbell. Her scrapes were healing well, as was her lip. It wasn’t swollen anymore, and the bruising was almost gone. She suddenly had butterflies in her stomach at the thought of kissing her friend. 

As if on cue, Ben knocked and walked in the front door. With only a small bag of civilian clothing and his uniform on a hanger, he planned on staying at least until the following Monday. They had a four day weekend, starting on Thanksgiving, so his schedule was free. Maura, Sonya, and Mike would be leaving on Friday, as they had stayed longer than expected already. 

# # # # # 

Ben heard the conversation from “coincidence” on. He dropped his bag in the living room between the sofa and the balcony door so it would be out of the way before going to Saryah’s room and checking on her. She was looking in the mirror, checking out her injuries. She touched her lip, and he saw the faint smile on her face. He knew what she was thinking. He was thinking it too. Between friends. He snickered to himself. He was afraid to call it anything more. It was too soon. He knew a relationship was out of the question. That’s what she was arguing about with the unknown person on the other side of the conversation.

“Alright, John. We’ll talk Monday. Yes, I’m cleared to work as long as it’s on my own pace. Besides, more than about four hours and I need more pain meds. And, if I take those, I need to be in the bed, otherwise I won’t be able to go home until they wear off, and you don’t want me unconscious in the break room.” 

John laughed. “Okay. Have a great Thanksgiving, and we’ll get it all worked out Monday.”

“Okay. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, John. I’ll see you Monday.”

She disconnected the less than positive call. She hoped her job wasn’t in jeopardy.

“Coincidence, huh? Well. I, for one, don’t believe in coincidence.”

“You don’t? Serendipity? Happenstance?” 

“Nope. I don’t, Saryah. I believe everything happens for a reason, and though I’m not a religious guy, I have a name for things happening a certain way.”

“Come gimme a hug first, Ben. I’ve become accustomed to having a hug from you. I mean, you’ve given me a hug, or more than one, every single day since last Friday. A girl gets used to things like that.” After he hugged her quickly, he looked at her injuries. “So what’s your name for things happening unplanned?”