Chapter 25 - Homeward Bound

No one expected them to be held for two weeks past their redeployment date, but that’s exactly what happened. Security details were sketchy at best, and threats had actually been issued against all aircraft carrying American Military personnel. Frustration was mounting, along with boredom and anxiety on both sides of the ocean.

Finally, they were cleared to go to Kuwait where they waited four more days before the flights were ready. The men had so much time on their hands that they literally exhausted all legal avenues of entertainment: Playing cards, games, video games, sleeping as much as they wanted, and calling home two and sometimes three times a day.

Four hours before they were to board a plane out of the desert, Ben called Saryah.

“Hullo?” She answered in a sleepy voice.

“Sorry to wake you up, beautiful. I called to say I’m coming home, baby. We’re leaving soon. I just wanted to get one more “I love you” in before I go. I won’t be able to call for a few days, but the next time I talk to you, it’ll be face-to-face.” Ben’s smile was evident even over the phone.

“That’s great! I’m so glad. I’m sure I’ll be hearing from Gina or someone soon. I miss you! I can’t wait to kiss you again.”

“I’m looking forward to that, too. More than you know.” Ben laughed and Saryah’s heart soared. She could hardly stand the anticipation!

“There’s a long line of folks behind me that want to call home too, so I’m gonna go. I love you.”

“I love you more, Ben. I’ll see you soon. Be safe!”

“I’ll pass that on to the pilots. It’s pretty much out of my control up there. Bye baby!” He chuckled at his own joke.

“Bye.” She whispered as the tone on her cell phone signaled the end of the call. She tried to get back to sleep, but the excitement took over, and she decided to put her burst of energy to good use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caroline Russell, along with her baby girl, smiled at the man sleeping in the hospital bed. She’d received the news from the doctor. He’d met her at the nurse’s station and informed her that her husband was being discharged from the hospital, and was cleared to go home. They would both get to make the “Welcome Home” Ceremony that was planned. A lone tear escaped and she hugged Arielle closer.

 “Why is the love of my life crying, Carrie?” He was the only one permitted to call her that.

“I’m not.” She laughed, wiping another tear. “Okay, maybe I am. I’m just happy!”

“That’s always good, baby girl. Why are you so happy?” He smiled, beckoning her closer with the I.V.-free hand.

“The doctor saw me in the hallway. He said…” she was cut off by the doctor coming in.

“I said that you’re cleared for take-off, Sergeant. Go home with this beautiful family and try not to let any more buildings fall down around your ears, okay?” The doctor said with a facetious tone.

“You got it, Doc. I can’t wait to get my two best girls back home.” He said with a smile that spoke of their cherished relationship. “When do I get to fly?”

“I believe there’s a transport coming through soon. Get ready!”

“I was born ready, Doc! Thanks for everything.” Turning to Caroline, he squeezed her hand, whispering, “And thank you.”

“For what? Flying all the way to Germany just to watch you sleep?” Caroline took her turn to laugh, knowing if she was serious, she’d wind up in tears.

“For being you. For loving this crazy guy. For sticking by me when it got rough.”

“Terrance Allen Russell!” Her face beamed with the love she felt for her husband. She used his full name; Troy being his nickname because he was named after both his grandfather and great grandfather. “I wouldn’t have it any other way!” She bent to kiss her husband while holding a squirming toddler in her arms. “I think someone wants a kiss from her daddy!” He took his daughter and hugged her close, kissing her forehead.

“Let’s go home!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saryah couldn’t believe he’d be back in her arms in a matter of hours. She helped ready the reception hall with banners and decorations, posters and flags. Red, white, and blue once again erupted like a patriotic volcano. This was the second welcome home ceremony for Ben that she’d been to in a year. The last one was more bittersweet, considering he’d spent too long in the hospital.

She remembered that first impression of him and was so surprised about how wrong she was. He was a fantastic guy, who, when given a fair shake, had turned out to be wonderful. He had turned out to be her “Mr. Right.” She laughed at the idea, but for the joy that being with Ben brought her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The plane landed in Germany. They were scheduled to stop there, or Ireland. What they didn’t know is who they were picking up!

“HEY! My brothers!” The flight exploded (figuratively) in cheers, whoops and hollers as none other than Staff Sergeant Russell, accompanied by his wife and daughter, walked onto the very same plane.

Ben jumped up from his seat and stood in line to hug his brother, his mentor, his best friend. Sure, Mike was his best friend, but he and Russ shared a different bond that civilians wouldn’t and couldn’t understand: The camaraderie of having fought together. The others moved quickly, as it was almost time to take off. Finally, Ben got a chance to greet him. Russ introduced his family.

“Caroline, this is Staff Sergeant Campbell: Saryah’s fiancée.”

“We-heh-ell! You are as good looking as she said!” She giggled as Russ’s face clouded a little. She turned to him: “Not as cute as you are, baby. I promise!”

“It’s nice to finally meet you in person, Mrs. Russ.” He hugged her before shaking Russ’s hand. “It’s great to have you back, man. You’re a walking answer to prayer standing right in front of me.”

“It’s good to be back! We better sit. The sooner we’re ready, the sooner we’re back in the best country on this earth: The U.S.A!” The plane started chanting "U.S.A." as they taxied for take-off!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The force of gravity pressed his body into the seat as Ben felt the familiar lift of the plane climbing into the sky. He looked out over the land. It was beautiful from up in the air. England was behind them and they were headed for New York, or North Carolina, or wherever they were landing. He knew somewhere in the back of his head, but couldn’t recall at the moment. His mind focused on reuniting with Saryah.

It was hard to believe a year ago, next month, they had only been introduced. The things that had transpired between them seemed to have happened an eternity ago. And, at the same time, he felt like it had all happened just last week.

His mind still couldn’t wrap itself around the fact that Russ was on the plane, going home with them. That kind of recovery time was unheard of. Ben was glad for it! He and Caroline and had talked off and on during the flight from Germany to England.

A sleepy smile graced his lips as he succumbed to the fatigue of travel and drifted off into a half-asleep, semi-consciousness, state. Next stop: America!