Chapter 24 - Recovery

“Russ? Russ! Come on, man! Stay with me!” Ben called out. His best friend in this war-torn, havoc-laden country lay on the floor with blood all over him. Ben couldn’t tell where it came from. He took in his friend’s appearance. Arms and legs were still intact. He was still breathing.

“MEDIC! OVER HERE! MEDIC!” He remembered his friend in the last situation he’d heard someone scream for a medic: That time it had been to save him.

The medics rushed to him, stretcher and equipment in tow. “I can’t find where he’s hurt. But, there’s blood everywhere. You gotta save him. He saved my life.” He prayed again, for the twentieth time in five minutes. “God, don’t take him! Please.”

An unknown set of arms reached for Ben, pulling him from the scene. “Campbell. It’s a’ight. I promise. Russ been through worser.” Brown: He recognized the voice. He was one of the guys Ben considered his brother.

“He can’t die, Donnie. He can’t. He saved my life.” Ben was close to tears. He hadn’t cried over other disasters because he’d been so horribly injured that he hadn’t grieved until much later.

“No, Brother. Jesus did that. Russ was just the vessel. And, even if he does go home, we’ll see him again.” Brown’s voice, steady and calm, kept Ben from going over the edge.

“Don’t say that, man. He’s got a baby at home. He can’t die.” Ben’s voice cracked. He sounded like a little kid crying over his kitten, but he didn’t care.

“We’re gonna pray…”

“I’ve been praying since I found him. There are others. Captain was hurt too. He’s alive, but he’s got parts missing. I’ve been there. I hate it for ‘em. Why now? Why today? We’re almost home! Twenty guys were in there, standing in the line. The only reason I’m not face down in that rubble is that the line was too long. I went back to my office. Brown: I shoulda been in there with Russ.” That was his breaking point. Ben lost all willpower to hold it together.

Brown started praying harder than he’d prayed in a while.

# # # # #

Caroline Russell walked into Saryah’s office. “Did you hear?”

“I know there was a bombing.”

“Yeah. Russ was hurt. Troy! I didn’t know who to talk to … help me.”

“Come here.” Saryah opened her arms and held Caroline while she sobbed. “Are you going to meet him?”

“They’re flying him to Germany. He has a severe concussion and some internal bleeding. Saryah, he talked about Sergeant Campbell all the time. I wanted to let you know that they’ve become really good friends there.”

“Thanks.” Poor Ben, she thought, but didn’t verbalize.

“I don’t know when I’m leaving, but I wanted to come by and tell you that.” Caroline said, calming finally.

“When you see him; tell him thank you for me. It means a great deal that he was there for Ben. You tell him that I said to get well soon, and that I’m praying for him.” Caroline hugged Saryah and left.

# # # # #

A prayer service was called, and the Chaplain came down to officiate. Many of the men from other units also joined in, packing the “church tent” to capacity. The Chaplain’s assistants rolled the sides up to accommodate the expanding group.

Ben was early and helped with the preparations. He’d relaxed some since the day of the bombing; he’d even talked to Russell at the hospital before he was transferred.