Chapter 13 - Bad becomes Worse

After the Thanksgiving weekend, Ben went back to his barracks room. She missed him being near her every waking moment. Somehow they’d managed to stay out of the bedroom, but Saryah would be the first to say she wouldn’t have any regrets if they had decided to cross that line. He’d shown her that not all men were jerks.

Most importantly, they’d been there for one another. She learned more about him in those few days than a person usually found out in several months. They knew everything about one another, and yet, he stayed around.

There were days, and even a whole week, when they didn’t see each other. He made up for that time in texts, calls, and even emails. Her favorite was video chat.

She glanced at the calendar on her desk.

“Christmas already?” The calendar proved it was only nine days away. Her cast would come off in a few days, and she’d get to “enjoy” wearing a space boot on her foot for two weeks after. She only used crutches at work or when going a longer-than-normal distance. At home, she was able to hobble around without them.

Her phone rang, and she smiled when she glanced at the caller I.D.

“Hey sis! What’s up?”

“You got a minute to talk?” The joy in Sonya’s voice was hard to miss.

“Sure, Sonya. I’m on my lunch break.”

“I was wondering what you were doing the weekend of March 14th?”

Saryah smiled. “I hope I’m going to your wedding! Or, wedding shower?”

“You are, actually, going to both! I really need my Maid of Honor to be there for a couple of days to a week before hand, if you have the vacation days?”

“I don’t have them now because of my run-in with that truck, but I will by then. I’m so excited for you! Where are you getting married? St. Paul’s in Paxton?”

“No, silly! We’re going to be recording our first album. So, we’re getting married near where we’ll be staying: Pigeon Forge!”

“WHAT? I’ve heard it’s breathtaking! That’s great! What do you need me to do?”

“I guess I’ll send a list. We only have a couple of months to finalize everything. You may want to get a dress in navy blue or plum. Either one is good with me. Since you’ll be walking with Ben,” Saryah’s heart skipped a beat when her sister said that, “either color will complement his dress blues.” At Sonya’s words, Saryah thought her heart had stopped completely. “You okay? It sounds like you stopped breathing! I bet I know what’s going on. Someone’s in looove!”

“I am not! We’re closer than before, sure, and we don’t fight anymore, but love? No! I don’t think so!”

“Come on, Sare. You know as well as I do that you two have been really, REALLY, close since Thanksgiving. There’s no way you can say you don’t have any romantic feelings for him. It was written all over the both of ya when y’all came out of your room that night. We know y’all were smoochin’ in there. It’s obvious you’re attracted to each other. Just admit it!”

“Look, Sonya, there’s a difference between love and attraction. I’d have to be blind, deaf, and dumb to not be attracted to Ben. He’s gorgeous! But Love? Not there yet. Could it be someday? I hope so!”

“See? I knew it. It’s in your voice…”

Trying not to be rude, Saryah cut her off. “Enough, Sonya. Look, we’ll talk about Ben later. I’m super jazzed about your date being set, and I love you! Thanks for calling me. But, now I have to go back to work!”