Chapter 9 - Pinkie Promise

They hadn’t argued in almost 24 hours. So why had she suddenly stopped answering his texts and calls? Something didn’t seem right. He didn’t think Saryah would do this. He felt as if he was beginning to know her character. He tried to call Saryah again. He finally gave up and called Mike.

“Mike. Are you with Sonya?” Ben asked, concern lacing his voice.

“Yeah, buddy, what’s up?”

“Well, believe it or not, Saryah and I actually bumped into each other last night, had a great evening, and are supposed to go out tonight. Problem is, she won’t answer her phone or texts, and we were texting this morning. She seemed excited about tonight. I’m a little worried, honestly.”

“Ben? It’s Sonya. What’s up?” Her voice echoed his thoughts.

“I’m worried about Saryah. She and I were texting earlier, but now she won’t text or call back. And no, we didn’t start arguing. She was out running. OH NO! I hope I’m wrong.”

“Ben what? What is it?” Her call waiting rang in while they were talking. “Hang on, I have a call.” Sonya clicked over. “This is Sonya Williams.”

“Hello, my name is Yvette Burns and I’m a nurse at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital here in Augusta. We’re trying to find a relative or friend of a patient brought in by ambulance. You are the second name in her phone. The first was Maura Herington, but there was no answer. It could be too early.” A sob escaped Sonya’s throat, and Mike took the phone. He noticed Ben was still on the line.

“Whatever you just said has upset her.” Mike said, barely keeping calm; unaware that Ben was not the one speaking.

“Sir, this is a nurse from M.C.G. Hospital in Augusta. We have a patient by the name of Saryah Williams who was brought in by ambulance. I can’t give more details now, but we need to contact her family. Is Sonya related to our patient?”

“Yes.” Mike said somberly. “They’re twin sisters. We’re four hours away, but we’re on our way. Is it alright if a friend comes until we can get there?”

“Yes. First of all, what’s your name?” Yvette the nurse asked.

“It’s Mike. Mike Thorpe. The person who will be there as soon as I talk to him is named Benjamin Campbell.”

“Thank you, Mr. Thorpe. I appreciate it.”

“Before you go, can you tell me if she’s at least live?” At his words, Sonya broke down. “And what happened?”

“She is alive. That’s all I can tell you. Thank you. We’ll see you when you get here.”

Mike pushed the call waiting. “Ben? Ben are you there?”

After a couple of seconds of nothing, “Yeah Mike. What’s up?”

“How quick can you get to MCG?”

“I’m on my way now!” Ben slapped his cell phone closed and slammed the last drop of his coffee. He hurried to his car, calling his First Sergeant on the way.

He decided to get to Deans Bridge Road as soon as possible. It was the most direct route.

He prayed aloud in his car for the first time in a long time, to a God he no longer believed in until now.

“If you’re real, and you’re here, please, make her alright. I’m begging you.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sonya and Mike went to her mom’s house.

“Mamma? You ‘wake?” Sonya called out.

“I’m in the back, sweetie.” Maura called back.