Chapter Seven | Daddy!

Ryan read over the notes. Like the other times, Ember had done the paperwork she left notes telling him where to sign and the reasons why he was signing it.

A light knock on the door made him look up from the pointless yet valuable words in front of him.

"I'm heading out, you need anything?" Carman asked.

He shook his head. "Unless you want to do this for me. I'm sure you know how to forge my signature."

She laughed. "Anyone can. It's just a mess of scribbles, it's not even a name at this point."

Ryan rolled his eyes and said bye to her. He closed the curtains as well as making sure the doors were locked before he got back to the stack of papers.

He was halfway finished with the bigger pile when he was interrupted by a phone call. At first, he was just going to ignore it like he did most unrecognizable numbers. However, when they called again he tapped the green button and answered it grumpily.

The other end must've had a bad connection because it was staticky and the voice was almost a whisper. Then it came in clearer and Ryan recognized the voice immediately.

"Shut up, I can't even talk for a minute without you and your little dick getting worked up-"

Ryan cut him off by saying hello again, this time not as rude as the first.

"Dad, hey! Uh, so, before this officer hangs the phone up can you-uh, come to get me. I might be in jail. The one near that club I like KD I think it was called."

Before Ryan could question why of all people, Karter called him or how he even had his phone number. The phone was disconnected and Ryan was left in silence.

He should go get him. But why did he feel like it was his responsibility? Sure, he liked the guy but what did the kid do to get into jail for?

Ryan looked down at the paperwork knowing he was going to cave and go get the guy. He groaned. "I guess I'm finishing this later."

He grabbed his keys and locked the doors behind him as he walked to his car.

The drive didn't take that long. The sight of the police station was enough to make Ryan question why he was there. He hated the sight of the flashing lights and uniforms he saw too much for his lifetime let alone one night.

He pushed those thoughts away the best he could and found a parking spot. He reminded himself it wasn't like last time.

It wasn't until Ryan made it into the building, did he realize he had no idea what Karter's last name was or if Karter was even his legal name.

Ryan remembered on the phone the boy called him "dad," maybe he could play it off as casually as possible.

The older woman behind the glass window spoke up. "Please tell me you're here for Mr. Thorn, you're here to get your son."

Thorn.

"Uh, yes, I am. How much is it to bail him out?" Ryan asked, trying his best to seem like he didn't just learn the name ten seconds ago.

"An hour ago I would have said three hundred, but at this point, fifty bucks would work. We just want to be rid of him."

She pushed back her grey hair in frustration. Ryan handed her the money and signed some paper she handed him before he heard Karter's voice down the hall.

Karter was talking with a very irritated officer that looked about ready to taser him.

"Daddy! You showed up," he yelled, making it impossible for the people around them not to look.