Chapter Nine | Autumn Night

By the time Karter finished taking pictures, the sun had started to fade away. While he was still up on the roof when he saw the familiar purple car pull up to the building.

He laughed at the choice in vehicles as he walked inside and got his shoes on and put his camera back.

When Karter went back outside Ryan was waiting at the door like a gentleman. It kinda took Karter by surprise when he opened his door. His reactions shocked even himself when he let Ryan do something like that.

However, something about it made Karter ever so flustered.

Logic.

"Ready?" Ryan asked with a smile Karter could melt over.

Oh my sweet sugar-filled tea, he's fucking beautiful. "Okay-I mean yeah," Karter mentally slapped himself when he got into the car.

Okay. Who the fuck says that when someone asked if they are ready?!

"So where are we going anyway?" Karter questioned, on the way there.

From the looks of it, they were headed out of the city and into the less populated area of New York. Karter had no idea where it was actually other than seeing trees and fewer buildings.

"It's not much of a surprise if I tell you now is it?" Ryan said matter of factly.

Karter crossed his arms. "Fine, but if you're taking me out here to murder me I will not go easily and will definitely haunt your ass."

Ryan chuckled. "Noted."

The drive was about an hour and Karter made himself at home by picking through the radio stations only pausing when he deemed a song worthy enough to hum along to.

When they had arrived they parked in a small parking lot and got out. The air smelled fresh and crisp. Almost like pine trees, one of Karter's favorite smells ever.

Ryan noticed and pointed to the trees above them. "It's probably the best time to be out here."

It had been a while since Karter had been out of the city and forgot how much he enjoyed the eerie sounds of the woods at night.

They were walking down one of the trails, Ryan shined a flashlight to the ground so they could see and not fall face-first into a rock or dead body.

Karter always aired on the side of caution. He heard too many horror stories about what people found in the woods.

One time he buried his sister's Barbie because it broke an arm and in her words: "the doll bled out and it was far too late." Karter wasn't sure where she got those ideas at such a young age but they held a funeral for the doll and even put a headstone with the doll's name on it in the backyard.

"Okay, tell me you are not trying to kill me with all this walking?" Karter muttered.

They had been walking for ten minutes and his legs burned. While Karter liked being out of the city, knowing his luck he'd end up being murdered or eaten by some mythical creature few believed was real.

"We're almost there. Trust me it's worth the work," Ryan exclaimed.

Karter nodded even though it was dark out. The sun had set long before they arrived and started walking along the path.

The stars were bright whether it was because of the night or the city line and there was nothing distracting him, he didn't know.

Ryan guided the way through the woods and out to a clearing. The trail resembled a hiking trail up until the clearing. Overlooking the city it had an almost majestic view along with a few park benches made it the perfect spot. A slice of paradise that few knew about.

Near the edge of the cliff-like look out, there was a railing lining it. Though Karter thought it was pointless if a person was clumsy enough they could easily trip over the railing and plummet to their inevitable death.

Karter of course loved the place.

"Woah, where the fuck did this come from," Karter questioned. He ran over to the railing looking over the edge making himself sick with nerves by looking down at the fall.

"I found it a few months ago on a run and thought it was pretty nice," Ryan answered simply.

Unlike Karter, Ryan chose to sit at one of the benches however instead of looking at the magnificent view he turned his attention elsewhere. When Karter noticed he suddenly felt very self-conscious about everything he was. Naturally, his sarcasm took over.

"Why don't you take a picture? Its beauty will last longer," he stupidly said as he walked over to the bench.

He set his legs over Ryan's lap and laid back to look up at the night sky.

Karter didn't know much about stars or really much of anything that mattered, but he could pick off a few of the constellations.

"You know when I was a kid I would sneak out of the house once I knew everybody was asleep and I'd climb to the roof and look up at the stars. Then when I fell asleep up there once-or twice everyone freaked out because they obviously couldn't find me," Karter spoke with a hint of nostalgia laced into his voice.

It was a time where he enjoyed his family and they enjoyed his company too. It was fun even though he knew he wasn't supposed to be out there, perhaps that's what made it all the more worth it.

Stars were always something that no matter where he was they were still there; whether he could see them or not.

"How old were you?" Ryan asked, clearly amused.

"Probably nine," Karter shrugged.

He sat up and did his best to look Ryan in the eyes-something that sounded a lot easier in his head. Ryan's stare was intense and made Karter feel like his soft brown eyes were burning into his soul, but not necessarily in a negative way.

Ryan reached over and held the side of Karter's face in his hand. To Karter's surprise, he instinctively leaned into the man's touch. His hand was warm and comforting. There was something about the guy that made Karter feel good.

He did what any gentleman-with no clue how to deal with his feelings would do. Karter moved closer to the point he was nearly on his lap and kissed him.

Ryan's lips were soft and the feeling of his beard on Karter's skin felt exceptionally good. Kissing him was like a high for Karter. It was a drug that he needed more and more of with each interaction.

Karter happily opened his mouth secretly loving the feeling of Ryan's tongue in his mouth. The taste of coffee welcoming him. Under any other circumstances, he would hate the taste. Yet, he seemed to like it this time.

When they broke apart Karter rested his head on Ryan's shoulder comfortably. It was peaceful to hear the sounds of nature and not cars honking at nothing or random screeching of the twenty-four-hour crackheads that seemed to be everywhere.

Karter randomly turned his head into Ryan's neck and without thought licked it.

He grinned when he felt Ryan shift a little on the bench. So he did it again, this time nibbling at the skin for a moment. Nothing much just enough to leave a small mark.

"What do you think you're doing?" Ryan finally asked. He pulled Karter away from his neck in the process.

"Uh, turning you into a vampire-like me, duh-why else do you think I'm so pale?" Karter asked with the best serious face he could muster.

"You're a dick," Ryan muttered.

"It's about time you're noticing, darling," Karter laughed.