Chapter Twenty-Two | Oh Shit

It was a peaceful sleep until Karter was pushed off his bed and onto the hard floor.

He groaned.

Flynn waited quietly as his cousin threw on a hoodie and shoes. Being woken up only to walk outside in the cold October air was not one of Karter's highlights in life.

The whole day seemed to be going in the wrong direction, it made Karter question what else could happen?

He just pushed his mood to the side. It was probably just from not eating anything again during the day and it was just making him in a bad mood. Simple enough.

The pizza place was nice and Karter even got to order chicken strips and garlic bread. The smell of a pizza shop should have been put in a candle. Karter would definitely buy a candle that smelled like a heavenly pizza shop.

After they got the order and paid they left to walk back to the dorms. By this time Karter could hear the food calling him.

"If we get killed before I eat my chicken tenders I'm gonna be pissed," Karter shouted.

"I know you are," Flynn agreed.

Instead of going over to their dorm, they walked across to Ember and Holland's dorm room. Karter thought it was weird walking as if they were going to their room then at the last minute turning in the opposite direction.

Karter was glad just Holland and Ember figured out things between them. It might not have been official but Karter knew they were not just friends at least not for long.

The way Ember talked about the woman it seemed like she was very much into the blonde and coming from a dude who has had a few crushes-he knew they didn't go away easily.

Karter knocked on the door since Flynn had the pizzas.

There were two voices on the inside which Karter found kinda odd considering one of them was a dude. The voice sounded vaguely familiar, however, he just piled it onto the fact he was hungry so he probably would have said he saw Spongebob walking down the hall too.

Holland answered the door and welcomed them in after a minute.

Walking into the dorm room Karter realized too late why the other voice was familiar. He felt the urge to run out of the room.

Holland took the food from them and Karter stared-not all that subtly-at the tall man next to her.

Why the fuck was he here? he thought.

As the questions rushed through his mind Ember walked in past them. Ryan greeted her a bit awkwardly and the final dots connected in Karter's mind.

"Oh, Flynn, Karter, this is Ember's dad; Ryan," Holland muttered with her normal sunny smile.

Flynn shook his hand and Karter felt as if he looked like a deer in headlights. He pushed himself to try and act normal or whatever the hell was normal for him at least.

"Nice to meet you," Ryan smiled at them and then turned to Ember clearly wanting to leave soon. Karter noticed Ryan was a much better actor than he was.

There was a part of Karter that cursed himself for not noticing the connection. It wasn't like Karter didn't know Ryan had a daughter or that Ember only had her dad and crazy aunt in her life.

He never realized the same last name or even the times' Ember referred to her dad by his first name. Karter didn't see the connection since it was a big city and 'Ryan' wasn't an uncommon name.

The thought that his boyfriend had a kid that was technically older than Karter had just hit him.

Ember walked over to her desk and handed Ryan a pile of papers and signing to him. Karter didn't focus on anything, he had no idea what she was even saying.